Northrop Northampton B(PR)1 - the model

Started by PR19_Kit, October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Couldn't you have used pop rivets the right size, Kit?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Only three of them worked.  :banghead:

The #1 engine bearing, far left, disappeared into the shaft fairing when I tried to insert the prop, so now the model rattles nicely and I've got a REAL problem getting a new bearing tube in place.

Everything else is done, all the umpteen decals are on, a few guns, the wheels and landing, gear plus the doors (one of two sets provided in the kit..... :unsure:) are in place. If I could get all four props to stay there I'd post some pics, but with only three it'd look daft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 23, 2014, 03:13:35 PM
Pop rivets? How would that have worked?

well if you pull the sqwishing pin out of the rivet, you'd have something like you've made
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Ah right, and it wouldn't have come apart when the glue joint failed because there wouldn't have been a glue joint.

I'm not sure that they come in that sort of size though, the OD of the tube is 4mm, except it's probably 5/32" as it came from 'old stock' in my R/C models spares box.

This morning I found that one end of one of the wing-walk warning areas decals had slipped about 1/2" while the Klear was drying.  :banghead: Goodness knows how I'm going to get that right, it may need overpainting and new decal applying, luckily I printed off miles of the stuff.

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 03:15:40 AM
I'm not sure that they come in that sort of size though, the OD of the tube is 4mm, except it's probably 5/32" as it came from 'old stock' in my R/C models spares box.

They do, Kit.  In both 5/32 and 4mm, both available on fleabay, although your local hardware store might have them as well.

And the engineering you did with the other three *is* impressive.  I just happen to be a practitioner of the KISS principle. :D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 23, 2014, 03:29:29 PM

well if you pull the sqwishing pin out of the rivet, you'd have something like you've made

Technical term I take it ?  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 24, 2014, 07:52:15 AM

It's slight less effective than 'squashing' but more effective than 'fiddling'.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Where do FURTLING and FETTLING  fit in this continuum?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Technical term I take it ?  ;D

couldn't think of another word for it ---   :lol:  :rolleyes:

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 24, 2014, 09:17:58 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Where do FURTLING and FETTLING  fit in this continuum?

They go between 'Squishing' and 'Fiddling', in the order you wrote them.

Regards
Kit

kerick

Until something goes wrong, then it's "boloed".
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

All my nose wheeled aircraft rattle as I have a habit of not glueing the weights in place unless I really have to to stop them rolling back to the tail.  If I ever enter them in a judged contest it'll be a nice surprise for any judge which picks them up...

Could you not fill the hole where the bearing was with filler and then drill a new hole the right size?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 25, 2014, 01:43:18 AM
All my nose wheeled aircraft rattle as I have a habit of not glueing the weights in place unless I really have to to stop them rolling back to the tail.  If I ever enter them in a judged contest it'll be a nice surprise for any judge which picks them up...

Could you not fill the hole where the bearing was with filler and then drill a new hole the right size?

I've got a few older models that do that too, it's de rigeur to tip them nose-down at shows before putting them on the stand.  ;D

The hole is already the right size so it doesn't need filling. The problem is stopping the replacement bearing falling through the hole and joining its colleague inside the airframe while I'm trying to glue it in place. I could end up with an entire wing full of rattling brass tubes if I'm not careful!  :o

Attempt #3 will be happening later today, I'm thinking of slightly flaring the end of the tube and tapering the hole to match, then the tube won't be able to fall inside hopefully.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

;D :lol: :thumbsup:

The flared tube idea worked a treat, and now she has FOUR props.  :thumbsup:

I'm just putting the yellow tips on the prop blades, all 24 of them  :o, and the tiny Hamilton-Standard decals on the same blades will complete the job at last. I've already replaced the drifting wing-walk decal.

Regards
Kit