Northrop Northampton B(PR)1 - the model

Started by PR19_Kit, October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

If I ever see another Hamilton-Standard decal it'll be too soon.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've just spent 1.5 hrs putting 48 of those little tiny mothers on the Northampton's prop blades, and there's two on every blade! Goodness knows what the yellow script says on the inboard decal, but they're on there now.

I've satin varnished all over the upper surfaces and I'll weather it a tad later, remembering that's it's powered by DIESEL engines, and that should be done. That won't happen till Wednesday at the earliest though, non-modelling things are intervening in the meanwhile.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Proper old fashion diesel as well.  None of this modern low sulphur muck...
Have you got "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" decals for the filler caps?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 27, 2014, 02:31:46 AM

Hehehe, that's a good idea, I may add them!  :thumbsup:

It does have six VERY visible fuelling points on the upper wing, big red rings with some psuedo script underneath. I'll see how small a 'Diesel Only' script will print before it becomes unreadable.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2014, 03:17:27 PM
Quote from: zenrat on October 27, 2014, 02:31:46 AM

It does have six VERY visible fuelling points on the upper wing, big red rings with some psuedo script underneath. I'll see how small a 'Diesel Only' script will print before it becomes unreadable.  ;D

Actually red is the colour for AVGAS (AkA petrol for piston engines) fuel caps and AVTAG And AVTUR fuel caps  would be black with white writing. :rolleyes:
The RAF vehicles that ran on Diesel when I was 'in' normally had a big sticker with the word? DERV next to the fuel cap (I think)
Maybe green would be a suitable colour for diesel fuel caps on an aircraft? DEAF??? ( Diesel Aviation Fuel) ;D

Regards
Keith (not meaning to sound all JNMF)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Actually I think black would be more suitable, bearing in mind the nature of the stuff and that 'green-ness' didn't exist back in that time.

Quite how 'green' managed to be associated with that awful diesel stuff I have no idea, it's anything BUT 'green' if you take everything into account. But the fuel's fans only count the CO2 output, ignoring the rest of the rubbish that it generates.  :angry: :angry:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The Northampton's sorted at last.  :thumbsup:

The teeny weeny aerials are on, the props, and the rest of the airframe, are satin varnished and lightly weathered. That's apart from the underside where the exhausts are HEAVILY weathered, it being a diesel and all!

I'm not posting pics of the gun turrets 'cos they're not very good, and only two turrets on the whole airframe have the 20 mm cannon fitted. They're so difficult to align with each other, and they look stupid if they're not, that I canned my ideas about fitting them to all the turrets.

Final build pics below.

Two upper surface views, which should show most of the good stuff.

Underside showing the heavy exhaust weathering.

The props with their zillions of decals.

The various cockpits, and aerials too.

The mega-fragile nosewheel. I'm sure I'll have to replace that bent leg with some wire before too long.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 28, 2014, 07:35:05 AM

The props with their zillions of decals.

Kit, the gentleman in the starched white jackets are on their way, because there's no way you kept your sanity after decaling all the prop blades
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Librarian

That's a beautiful piece of work, turned out really well. I made a hell of a mess of it years ago but that was before I whiffed the light :mellow:. Out of interest what's the 1/72 diameter on those propellers?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on October 28, 2014, 10:27:52 AM
That's a beautiful piece of work, turned out really well. I made a hell of a mess of it years ago but that was before I whiffed the light :mellow:. Out of interest what's the 1/72 diameter on those propellers?

Good question, I'm a distance from it at the mo, but maybe 2.25" perhaps? I'll measure it tomorrrow.

Thanks everyone else, glad you like it. The thing actually came out better than I thought it would, and I'll be interested in seeing what people at Telford make of it.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Librarian on October 28, 2014, 10:27:52 AM
Out of interest what's the 1/72 diameter on those propellers?

Kit was close, they are actually 2 7/16" [62mm)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

The 4 bladers and the contra-props are quite different shapes, the 4 bladers being square tipped and the contras taper to a rounded tip. I clipped the tips of my contras so they looked more like the 4 bladers so I suspect my contras may be a tad smaller.

Regards
Kit

Librarian

That'll do very nicely....now to find a cheap kit somewhere :banghead:.