Bubble or micro cars, concepts real or Whiffs

Started by McColm, October 20, 2014, 10:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

BBC TopGear did a feature on the Peel  P50, the British bubble car or micro-car. Built in the Isle of Man  by Peel Engineering, founded by Cyril Cannell in the fifties, with 47 built examples and 27 still in existence. There biggest seller was the bubble-roofed Trident with 130 built. The P50 had side doors compared to the traditional front door. Two front wheels and a rear wheel. No reverse gear.Top speed of 38mph and 1.4 meters long.
BMW imported the Italian Isetta and built their own versions such as the Messerschmitt Kabinewroller and Heinkel Kabin.
The 1970s saw the Bond car but the Austin Mini had become so popular that the bubble car had been replaced. Other countries produced their own.

France has revived the bubble car as a cheap alternative to the motorbike.
Which got me thinking of using the Revell 1/24 Smart Car 07331 as a base for some Whiffery. In a previous topic I was going to use a 1/24 World War II fighter aircraft and mount the fuselage minus the wings, undercarriage, tail flaps and propeller to the chasis of a truck.
Now all I have to do is mount the cockpit section onto the Smart Car or change the roof/windscreen. There probably is a Japanese micro-car that can also be kitbashed.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

perttime

The Messerschmitt - especially in cabriolet guise - is a cool looking car...

You are aware of the Morgan 3 Wheeler?

McColm

Yes,
I've seen pictures and Richard Hammond from BBC TopGear drove one on their 'Track Day Out'.
I hadn't thought of it.
Just need a trike for the base model or kitbash a chasis. The body can be built seporate.

Go4fun

I've seen many clear package shapes that I thought would make either interesting 'green houses' (Top body) or bodies themselves. I wonder now what I will see that looks bubble car like in the stores?
"Just which planet are you from again"?