The Return of "Mark 2"

Started by Alvis 3.14159, October 23, 2014, 12:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

With the re-emergence of Germany in the early 1930s as an expansionistic power, various countries courted the Nazi regime in an attempt to drive a wedge between themselves and their perceived rivals. One of these countries was Japan.

Unfortunately for the militarists in the Japanese government, Hitler's bunch wasn't interested in sharing much with the Japanese, and began making serious demands to have their former Pacific possessions returned. When things came to a head in China , the Japanese did a quick reassessment of the situation, replaced some key individuals in cabinet, and began making new friends in the area. One of the more unexpected ones was Australia.

Things had been tense between Australia and Japan in the years after WW 1. Seeing Japan as a serious threat, successive Australian governments had clamoured for military assistance from the UK, but were often left holding the short end of the stick. Realising that Germany posed a threat to Australian interests as well as their own, with increasing trouble from Stalins' Soviet Union as well, Japanese delegates began to make inroads with the politicians in Australia, forming an alliance of convenience that grew into one of interdependence. Japan had manufacturing ability, Australia had the resources, and Britain was still climbing out of the depression and was facing an emergent European war, one which they desperately needed Australian forces to fight. If the Mother Country was going to ignore their defence, then the Australians felt it only best to look for help much closer.

Kawanishi had been building trolley cars and railway gear for several years in Australia before WW 2 broke out. Having formed a good working relationship with the Australian manufacturers, a bold idea was put forward by the board of directors at Kawanishi: Build one of our designs under licence and it will help us both in the long run, you for defence today, us for a long term manufacturing partnership. Seizing the chance, Australia began to produce the CAC CA-19 "Thunderstruck"

Too late for service in the Battle of Britain, "Thunderstrucks" began entering service in mid-1943, in time for the sweep across Africa and into the south of Europe, across the Aegean into Greece and up through the Balkans into the heart of the Nazi regime. They also served in the pacific along side the Wildcats and hellcats of the USN, fighting the Russian forces along the coast, and far into the interior, liberating Manchuria and Northern China from Stalin's madness. This model represents a later mark, the Mk II B, which sported a blown Spitfire like canopy, increased engine power, additional wing guns, and underwing stations. The RAAF planes fighting in the PNE Theatre were distinctive in their markings, as all red was removed to prevent being mistaken for a plane sporting the red star of the Soviet Air Force.

This example was flown by P/O George "Geordie" McGruder as part of the liberation of Vladivostok. He was credited with 31 3/5 kills during that operation.

Here's another creation from the insane mind of Mark Two, one of my co-workers. It's an old kit in 1/32 scale of the "George", "slightly" reworked to make it more Australian. It's confused a few customers at the hobby shop, most thinking it's some sort of Tempest...

Alvis 3.14159

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on October 23, 2014, 12:23:23 AM
Here's another creation from the insane mind of Mark Two, one of my co-workers. It's an old kit in 1/32 scale of the "George", "slightly" reworked to make it more Australian. It's confused a few customers at the hobby shop, most thinking it's some sort of Tempest...

With good reason.  :thumbsup:

It's even more like '....some sort of Typhoon....'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That is good  :thumbsup: Took me a while to work out her parentage  ;D

My alt WWII scenario involves a thrust up from the Balkans into Germany as well, but I start off from Palestine via Turkey
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I too was left guessing until you said "George"  Canopy really threw me.  Well done by your friend.

I think I see some P-47 in there (prop, cowl, canopy)???  Skyraider?
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Alvis 3.14159

He used the prop from a P-47, and the canopy is the windcreen and center section from a Spitfire, the aft bit being left from the original "George". I can't recall where he sourced the underwing units from, and he modified the wing guns to make them look more "British".
Otherwise, the rest of it is stock, with a new paint scheme.

Alvis 3.14159.....

Captain Canada

Love it ! Had no idea it was that big of a scale ! Also had no idea what kit it was until you said, but I was defo thinking Typhoon. Nice one 3.14159 !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Cool.  I had no idea what it was.
I haven't completely worked out my alternative WW2 yet but it involves Victoria fighting alongside the USSR against Japan and ends with nukes dropped on Darwin and Antarctica.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Librarian

Very nice, very 'Boomerangish' :wub:. The Shiden-Kai was a superb fighter, much forgotten. In the hands of a good pilot they could outfight a Hellcat and hold their own against Corsairs. There's a report about one such event which I've been trying to find where a group of F6Fs or F4Us were seriously smacked by one ace in a George...I'll keep looking.

kitbasher

Nice.  I've just started a bit of Hellcat whiffery and there's a strong resemblance between this and what I hope will be a decent build from me.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter