Airfix new-tool 1/72 Sea Harrier in 1944 FAA markings and camouflage.

Started by CSMO, October 24, 2014, 08:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Nice work - the scheme suits the Harrier well, just the roundels are a bit large, IMHO?

BTW: What paints/tones did you use for the FAA scheme? Just curious, because here the contrast between the upper colors comes out nicely, and the Slate Grey looks rather greenish?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 25, 2014, 04:25:43 AM
.....and the Slate Grey looks rather greenish?

That's because Slate Grey, in both Dark and Light versions IS greenish.

I think they just ran out of names for their various greens so called it Slate Grey. See my Northrop Northampton thread too, the 'green' on the upper surface is Light Slate Grey.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CSMO

The Humbrol paints that I used came from 30-plus year-old tins. They were marked Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey. The newer tins of the same colors look different to me, as they seem to be not as intense.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2014, 07:49:12 AM

I think they just ran out of names for their various greens so called it Slate Grey. See my Northrop Northampton thread too, the 'green' on the upper surface is Light Slate Grey.

Often thought they named it such because slate often has moss on it and thus looks green ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 26, 2014, 08:44:55 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2014, 07:49:12 AM

Often thought they named it such because slate often has moss on it and thus looks green ?

It all depends where you get your slate from.  Welsh slate is  very grey,  Lake District (Honister slate mine) has a slightly greenish tinge and Lake District (Coniston slate quarry) is distinctly greeny-grey. Then of course it varies depending on whether you slate is wet or dry.....................Sorry to appear such a "slate nurd!!"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

This site never ceases to amaze me regarding the depth of knowledge available  :thumbsup: :bow: ;D