Hawker Hunter, IAC, 1956-60's?

Started by nighthunter, October 24, 2014, 12:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, what does the Forum's Populace think?

Natural Metal
Aircraft Grey Green
Camouflage
Aircraft Grey Green and Natural Metal

Knightflyer

There is a silver Hunter profile in the Warpaint book, it's on page 44. It's an F.1 (WT572) of the ETPS at Farnborough in 1959. That's the only fighter variant I've seen that was silver / NMF (of course quite a few T.7 wore the silver with yellow trainer bands)
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

JayBee

I note that this thread is a voting one with the choices :

Natural Metal
Aircraft Grey Green
Camouflage
Aircraft Grey Green and Natural Metal

Here are my thoughts :

Natural metal, a definite possibility and would look really smart.

AGG, a bit late as they had stopped using that scheme well before the Hunter's time frame but it would turn heads.

Camo, the aircraft would most probably have been delivered in standard RAF camo. so I think they would be unlikely to repaint them. Also it would be unlikely to catch the eye of our viewing public at a show, but then again you might get the occasional " I never knew they had Hunters."

AGG and NM, again as the second comment above except to my mind it would look rather pukey, if that descriptive word does not exist it does now!!!

So I will now return to the beginning of the thread and post my vote.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

nighthunter

Thank you , Jaybee for your candor, it's appreciated. My Wife likes the two tone scheme and the all green scheme, but as we say, It's my model, I'll do what I damn well please, lol. I like that I'm getting a lot of input on this, it helps me figure out where I may go with it.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

perttime

Natural metal - - - or go civilian and make it British Racing Green, or metal under and BRG over.

Army of One

It's your kit so do as you like.......however if you are asking for opinions......I'd go overall vreen first.....then green with silver undersides.......if you can't decide, flip a coin.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Rheged

The obvious answer is "If it's Irish Republic it should be forty shades of GREEN"   but an alternative could be a variant of Coastal Command colours.......there's an awful lot of ocean  around Ireland.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

nighthunter

Rheged, that's not one I thought of, thanks!

NARSES2

Right they didn't enter service in NMF (HS Silver ?) then ? Explains why no pics in my book

Be interesting to see a model of one in service  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dadlamassu

The first Hunters I saw were overall black.   111 Squadron at an airshow.

I don't think Ireland has an aerobatic team - so maybe a Hunter in green white and gold?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dadlamassu on October 26, 2014, 12:08:21 PM
I don't think Ireland has an aerobatic team - so maybe a Hunter in green white and gold?

They DID have, the Silver Swallows who flew the Fouga Magister very well indeed. So well that they won a Trophy at RIAT one year. They were finished in an NMF and orange scheme, see below.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Never heard of them. Great shot tho ! Always a fan of orange panels on an aeroplane.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

So...
Leading on from Kits post with the silver swallows Areobatic team and completely
Ignoring the available vote choice ;D
I'd suggest the Main colour should be overall Emerald Green, with the bottom of the
Wings in Green/white/orange (think The Belgian Red Devils Hunter Scheme) using the
Appropriate colours for the IAC ;D with White trim as required...

Regards
Keith
(in fact I'm quite taken with the idea :thumbsup: if I can find my modeling Mojo... )
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

nighthunter

Well, I'm giving the poll a few more days, till this Friday. Whatever has the highest, is what I'll most likely go with.

nighthunter

Okay guys and gals, only 1 day left to vote before the color scheme is decided!

perttime

Already voted - but I just also googled Irish Spitfire. The "early post war green" looks good, as does the natural metal with black in front of the cockpit.