Scaleorama Table

Started by Weaver, October 28, 2014, 04:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Just made this and I thought I'd share it since it may be useful to others:

The numbers in the table are the percentage size of the donor part relative to the finished model scale, so for instance, if you're building a 1/72nd model and you want to use a 1/48th part, go along the "72" row until you get to the "48" column and it tells you that that part is going to be 150% of it's original size in 1/72nd.

I can't post it as a spreadsheet but I'll send it to anyone who wants one. I could also extend it to cover other scale combinations. let me know if you want either.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Zero-Sen

Nice initiative dear Weaver. Very useful tool!

Knightflyer

Brilliant!

I've occasionally found a need to use roundels from one scale on another scale ...your table does something I've been meaning to do for ages  ;D

So to expand on your example - a 1/48 24 inch roundel will represent something 150% bigger in 1/72 scale
eg 36 inches

Of course what I need is that when I'm building a Glencoe 1/59 scale D.H. Venom what size 1/72 or 1/48 decals do I need to replace the naff ones Glencoe provided!  ;D

But this is a great start! (and I'm only calling it a 'start' because you haven't covered every possible permutation!) Well Done Sir  ;D

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

scooter

Quote from: Knightflyer on October 28, 2014, 05:29:17 AM

Of course what I need is that when I'm building a Glencoe 1/59 scale D.H. Venom what size 1/72 or 1/48 decals do I need to replace the naff ones Glencoe provided!  ;D

But this is a great start! (and I'm only calling it a 'start' because you haven't covered every possible permutation!) Well Done Sir  ;D

Check out here
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Brilliant!

I've occasionally found a need to use roundels from one scale on another scale ...your table does something I've been meaning to do for ages  ;D

So to expand on your example - a 1/48 24 inch roundel will represent something 150% bigger in 1/72 scale
eg 36 inches

I was originally going to do all the permutations, but it meant the common ones would end up buried. However I think what I'll do is add new ones to the bottom if people ask for them, so go have a look at the revised table. ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on October 28, 2014, 06:55:25 AM
Brilliant!

eg 36 inches

I was originally going to do all the permutations, but it meant the common ones would end up buried. However I think what I'll do is add new ones to the bottom if people ask for them, so go have a look at the revised table. ;D

Great contribution, well done!   :thumbsup:

I agree the common scales are the way to go, or they would get lost in the clutter- or give me flashbacks to some painfull school age tables.

Sadly I have "box scale" fever, an I understand there is no cure. 1:426 scale, 1:190....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Thanks for sharing *click * save as  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Yes very useful, thank you sir  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 28, 2014, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on October 28, 2014, 06:55:25 AM
Brilliant!

eg 36 inches

Great contribution, well done!   :thumbsup:

I agree the common scales are the way to go, or they would get lost in the clutter- or give me flashbacks to some painfull school age tables.

Sadly I have "box scale" fever, an I understand there is no cure. 1:426 scale, 1:190....

I can send you the spreadsheet if you want. It's easy to modify: just add a new scale on either or both axis and drag-copy the formulas from the middle to cover the new rows and columns. Everything else is formatting for presentation.

I did it in Open Office ('cos that's what I've got) so it's a .ods file, however Open Office will export in a variety of formats including Excel ones.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Cool.  That's linear dealt with.
Now, what volume are the 1/48 drop tanks I just used on a 1/72 plane?  It's 150% cubed isn't it? 337.5%?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on October 29, 2014, 01:58:04 AM
Cool.  That's linear dealt with.
Now, what volume are the 1/48 drop tanks I just used on a 1/72 plane?  It's 150% cubed isn't it? 337.5%?

Yes, that's right.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Of course it would help if I knew what volume they were when they were 1/48 but then I have no idea what they were off having been amongst stuff in a box labelled "Plane Weapons" I picked up at a swap & sell.

Your table has however enabled me to calculate that if I put a 1/35 Bf109 engine into a 1/25 car it would be an 11 litre engine.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 30, 2014, 03:47:45 AM

Your table has however enabled me to calculate that if I put a 1/35 Bf109 engine into a 1/25 car it would be an 11 litre engine.

An inverted V-12 car engine, that's something new, but then there's 'No Substitute for Cubic Inches'.  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2014, 04:29:17 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 30, 2014, 03:47:45 AM

but then there's 'No Substitute for Cubic Inches'.  ;D :lol:

In the States car scene we say "no replacement for displacement".... :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA