Storm Over Denmark

Started by NARSES2, November 02, 2014, 01:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Hawker Hurricane Mk I of the 2nd Eskadrille Danish Haerens Flyver Tropper (Danish Army Air Service) based at Vaerlose Airbase in April 1940.

When the Danes looked at re-equipping their air force in 1938 they initially contemplated purchasing the Fokker D XXI and also gaining a licence to manufacture the type in Denmark. However before this could be followed through Hawkers in the U.K. made an offer to both supply an initial batch of Hurricane Mk I's and also to let the Danes have a manufacturing license for the type.

Thus here we have one of the initial batch provided by Hawkers which was subsequently rearmed by the Danes with the 2 x 20mm Madsen cannon that had been initially been planned for the Fokker. This is somewhat of a hybrid Mk I Hurricane retaining some features of the early production run, such as the pitot and the exhaust stubs, whilst having the latter 3 bladed propeller.

The kit is the recent Airfix tooling which as I've said before is a really nice kit. The only modifications are the addition of the Frreightdog 20mm Orlikon gun pods masquerading as Madsen guns, filling the cartridge ejection slots and the fitting of covers over the original Browning ports made from masking tape. The Freightdog parts are exquisite and snuggle up to the wing undersides perfectly. The transfers were kindly supplied by Bungle as I had no Danish markings in the stash, so thanks to him. Paints were my normal mix of Xtracrlic, Lifecolor and Humbrol with the "light brown" colour used on the Danish Fokker's mixed by eye.

I currently have yet another of these early Hurricane kits on the go and this one will be Greek.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And I suppose you're expecting us to believe that's a Whiff, are you? No chance, I'm sure I've seen pics of one of those somewhere, somewhen........

It's really the goods Chris, how many more of your Hurri-builds do you have in your head? The possibilities seem endless.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Gorgeous, Chris,  :thumbsup:.  You have been a busy boy!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Librarian

I do like those gun-pods. I'll have to have a browse on the FD site. Any Hurricane is a  :wub: Hurricane.

Hotte

Nice Hurricane  :thumbsup:

I'm planning for 2015 a Danish MC 200.
The Danish Navy ordered it in 1939 in Italy.
Delivered they were not more

Hotte

Captain Canada

Nice one Chris. Colours looks awesome on it.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

She's a natural Chris, looks great.  Those cannon set it apart from other early Hurricanes.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

Lovely looking kit.....love the cannon....... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

flappydaffy

Weaver

That looks great Chris - well done!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Thanks Gents

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2014, 02:41:37 AM
It's really the goods Chris, how many more of your Hurri-builds do you have in your head? The possibilities seem endless.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I've started my Greek one, which will be instead of the PZL's they had. I have a simple RAF one in mind. It will get the Spitfire markings from the Airfix MkI and the Spit will get the 111 Sqd markings.

Then it's just a case of going through the list of countries who wanted Spitfires and giving them Hurricanes  ;D Which to my mind is far more logical given the comparison of ease of production between the two types. Plus other countries who were looking at modernising in the late 30's.

Quote from: Hotte on November 02, 2014, 10:17:26 AM
Nice Hurricane  :thumbsup:

I'm planning for 2015 a Danish MC 200.
The Danish Navy ordered it in 1939 in Italy.
Delivered they were not more

Hotte

Yup. Lots of countries were looking at Italian aircraft in the late 30's (inc. Great Britain and France), some were ordered, very few delivered. I didn't know about Danish MC 200 though. Great idea  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Great idea and a beautiful model! :thumbsup: