Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4 mit DB 605L

Started by matrixone, November 05, 2014, 11:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Not sure how to classify this model...its not 100% real world and yet not a true whiff either.

This is the Hasegawa Bf 109K-4 built mostly from the box except for the supercharger intake and four blade propeller. The supercharger intake was taken from a Ta 152 kit and reduced in size and the four blade propeller was scratch built.

The story behind this model is based on fact, the Daimler-Benz DB 605L was the intended power plant for the Bf 109K-14, but just before the K-14 was to enter series production the RLM cancelled it and after the K-4 no more 109's were to be built. Since preparations for the K-14 were well underway at the time it was cancelled the few components already built for it (engines, cowls, and propellers) were set aside while the production of the K-4 went ahead, months later there was an interruption in the supply of the standard Bf 109K-4 engine (the DB 605DC) and permission was granted to go ahead and use the K-14 components in order to keep at least some K-4 production.
There is no way to know just how many DB 605L powered Bf 109K-4s were actually built but the reports of the two Bf 109K-14s that were in service with JG 52 in the last weeks of the war were most likely just DB 605L powered K-4s so it looks like at least two were built.

Matrixone

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

matrixone

Thanks DogfighterZen!

A few more pictures of this model...

Matrixone

TallEng

That does look good :thumbsup: worth waiting for  :bow:
Even if the 109 always looks like it's got knock knees.
I think the four blader prop is an improvement :thumbsup:
Perhaps a slightly more pointed spinner? Maybe from a 190?
To give it a more purposeful look (all this would of course make it a Whiff ;D)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

matrixone

Thanks guys!

Keith,
I wanted this model to match the stories I have read about Bf 109K-14s actually reaching the front lines shortly before the end of the war and that's why there were not anymore changes to the model.
From what we now know about the Bf 109K-14 it never reached series production and could not have been used at the front but some of the few DB 605L engines that were built intended to be used in the K-14 were said to be used in standard K-4 airframes and there is a good chance a couple of these aircraft made it to the front and I believe this is where the stories of the K-14 being used in combat originated from.

Matrixone

PR19_Kit

Amazing how just changing the number of prop blades makes it look totally different.

Superb work as usual Matixone, they look like the real thing, and not models at all.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

It does look right  :thumbsup:

I recall some discussion about the feasibility of shooting machineguns through props with more than 3 blades. That has not stopped me from drawing aircraft with 5 bladers and guns on the fuselage - but the timing surely gets pretty tight.

matrixone

Thanks for the comments!

perttime,
Four bladed props might be possible to be used successfully with cowl mounted machine guns and the interrupter gear but five blades might be a bridge too far. At least with the Bf 109 it had the cannon firing through the propeller hub. ;)

Here are some photographs that show the ultra late war camouflage pattern used on the fuselages of the K-4. The top and upper half of the fuselage sides were softly sprayed with RLM 81 and RLM 82 with the lower half of the fuselage and bottom was unpainted and a thick wavy line of RLM 76 was sprayed along the side of the fuselage to blend everything together. Had the war lasted longer this scheme would have been seen a lot.

And here is my model showing my effort to copy the above mentioned scheme as closely as possible.

Matrixone

McColm

dumaniac

great images - including the stack of 109s.  thanks Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks for looking and for the comments!

Matrixone

Allan

well now, Matrix, that's great modelling as usual, but I'll ask the question as no one has posed it yet, but how did the four blades affect or improve the speed, handling and so on of this plane?? I suspect it must have been real fast and twist and turn like the very devil...
can't see the rational behind the wavy line myself, but that's Luftwaffe for you
Allan in Canberra

matrixone

Allan,
Thanks for the comments.

The trend for the newer Luftwaffe and Allied aircraft was using four bladed propellers, for example the Ju 388 and Bv 155 was clearly set to be produced with four blade propellers as well as the known future variations of the Ta 152.

The Bf 109K with the DB 605L was fast no doubt, but at higher speeds the control forces on a 109 was rather high and even higher speeds would make the problem worse.

Matrixone

Army of One

As usual a fabulous build/story/photos........out of interest....what would the armament be....? A pair of cowling 15mm guns and a motor 20 or 30mm cannon......? I read somewhere that there were plans in very late fighters to  replace the 13mm with 15mm guns....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!