Tauro A7V in progress ...

Started by jcf, November 05, 2014, 11:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

It was an expedient Chris.  We caught them napping when we introduced the tank and they needed an answer, quick, and didn't have much time for trials.  Every nation used or had access to the Holt tractor (Holt eventually became Caterpillar) that had been widely exported.  Several tanks, including the French Schneider and St Chammond had used the Holt tracks as a basis and none of them were satisfactory.  We looked at modifying one but ditched the idea after trials, but then we had more time to prepare a 'perfected' design than the Germans.

I can recommend 'The Devil's Chariots' by John Glandfield about British development of the tank.  The A7V only get's a brief mention, but it covers British development in detail.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Cheers Mossie  :thumbsup:

The book I've just finished reading on the Nivelle offensive of 1917 has an interesting chapter on French tank development.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.