Neiport-Delage NiD 137, Swiss AF 1940

Started by JayBee, November 06, 2014, 08:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Neiuport-Delage NiD-137

In the early 1930's Switzerland was looking for a more modern fighter with which to equip it's air force.

Nieuport-Delage offered a version of it's NiD-120 series, this being the 130 series. Various models were suggested and it was the 137 that was chosen by the Swiss. This was a single seat, parasol monoplane, powered by a Wright Cyclone F-3 engine, a 14 cylinder twin row radial of 710 HP.

The aircraft entered service in early 1934 and was immediately liked by it's pilots as it was fast and very agile.

In 1939 the Swiss AF started to re-equip with the Supermarine Spitfire. The NiD-137 was still highly regarded and so it was retained in the role of an unarmed advanced trainer.

Almost immediately some of the flying instructors, after seeing the RAF's displays at Hendon, had the idea of forming an aerial display team. This gained immediate approval with the stipulation that a team of three aircraft could be available for the 1940 Hendon pageant.

The team did attend the 1940 pageant at Hendon and were deemed by the press and the viewing public to be the sensation of that year's show.

Now to the horrible truth,   this may not be a What If.
Why? Well............

Many years ago, not long after the Matchbox Fury and Siskin came on the market, I built the predecessor to this model. It was slightly different to this build in that it had the Fury's U/C, and it was a two seater. The only thing that stopped it being completed was that I could not get hold of any decent Swiss markings for it.
Eventually it was scrapped. The engine was returned to the Williams Bros. Northrop Gamma and done in Spanish Republican markings (RW), that is until it was retrieved for this build.

So I ask you.........

Is this a What If or is it a Real World, 1-1 scale model, of a What If Model?

That's for you to decide.

...... and to the build –

This first photo shows the participating victims for this build.

Next we have a layout of some of the parts :

The underside with the centre section of the Fury's wing fitted and some PSR done.

The upper fuselage forward cecking with the gun troughs filled in, and, at this time, the Fury's cabane struts fitted, even though one was broken and missing. This will change.

The U/C legs from the new Airfix Gladiator. They were glued into the fuselage halves and then cut out. This gave more plastic at the leg/fuselage join, and made working it easier.

The pilot's headrest fairing. Again taken from the Airfix Gladiator fuselage halves. Well, they had already had the areas around the U/C legs cut away, so why not.

The U/C legs in place but as you can see I had mounted them too far aft to begin with. Much PSR to follow.

With the U/C legs in place and given a coat of primer, and PSR, and primed, and PSR, and primed, etc. etc.
It was now time to look at the upper forward fuselage and the cabane struts.
It was at this point it became obvious that even despite the missing broken strut in the Fury's pieces, that the wing would be too close to the fuselage. Why? Well I was intending to use the Gladiator's windscreen and it was too tall.
So I decided to use the Siskin's struts but turn them round as this looked better. This did cause a bit of a problem further into the build, but more of that later.

Well the siskin's fuselage is not the same width as the Fury's, and the shape of the struts does not fit with the Fury's forward fuselage, but hey! Details details.

The fuselage work is all but done and it is now painted.
The forward panels are done in Alclad Polished Aluminium and the fabric areas are done in my secret weapon of what ever silver you want with a couple of drops of matt white added to it.

Now we come to the afore mentioned problem with the cabane struts.
Using the Siskin struts back to front meant that the rear styruts were now too tall. The following two photos show the peoblem.
Look at the apparent difference between the trailing edge of the wing and the top of the windscreen, in the second picture the strut has been shortened by 1.5mm.

This step covers the creation of the main bracing struts, made from Contrail aerofoil section struts, and is where the next disaster occurs.

The struts were made this morning and I glued the first one in place,( note Alclad paints do NOT like superglue).

The wing fell off.

The time is now 1230 with only 21.5 hours to go until I leave for Telford, and I have to get my beauty sleep in that period.

So, have lunch and a glass of wine and try again.

The next photo was taken about 1500hrs, and the wing has been glued back on, and likewise the struts. Do not go near it for about an hour, just to be sure.

Success!, add the engine and she is done.
Time now 1630.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Gordon Bennett Jim, you DO cut things close, don't you?

It looks great nonetheless, but if you say it's a 1:1 scale model of a non-Whiff where are you going to display it tomorrow?  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

Very pretty.

Put WW1 German markings on it and claim it's the inspiration for the MS230 in The Blue Max!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Neat (too!); looks very purposeful with the solid engine - very convincing! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Just got around to this. Admired it at Telford, admire it even more now  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Cute! ;D I like that a lot. Very convincing. :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Elegant and powerful....I really like the look of this one....and appreciate all the effort you put in !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?