Fairchild Obliterator

Started by Flyer, November 08, 2014, 12:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Very rushed basic drawing inspired by the "Whiffs found on Facebook" thread reply #242 HERE

Thinking more about this, it may look better without the outer engines and outer horizontal stabilizers. And a vertical stabilizer at the end of each fuselage instead of the four fins in the pic.

I'll modify the pic later to see what that would look like.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

eatthis

whats better than a gau-8?
THREE gau-8s!  :wub:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Flyer

Flyer

To clear things up there are 3 GAU-8's in the usual place, and 2 more on the outer fuselages on top of the nose, set back a few (or more) feet so the ammo drums would be located were the cockpit tubs would normally be.

And only six hardpoints for fuel tanks, I think five Avenger's would be enough firepower :rolleyes:.

Gondor

Quote from: Flyer on November 08, 2014, 02:31:26 AM

To clear things up there are 3 GAU-8's in the usual place, and 2 more on the outer fuselages on top of the nose, set back a few (or more) feet so the ammo drums would be located were the cockpit tubs would normally be.

The real Ammo drums are behind the cockpit so you can't place them where the cockpit was in the outer fuselages as the barrel length of the guns will not allow for that unless you radically alter the feed and loading mechanism for the guns.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Flyer

Quote from: Gondor on November 08, 2014, 04:24:38 AM
Quote from: Flyer on November 08, 2014, 02:31:26 AM

The real Ammo drums are behind the cockpit so you can't place them where the cockpit was in the outer fuselages as the barrel length of the guns will not allow for that unless you radically alter the feed and loading mechanism for the guns.

Gondor

Whoops, bit of an oversight. OK the drums for guns 4 & 5 are located behind the drums for guns 2 & 3 and the cockpit areas are empty space or fuel tanks :rolleyes:

Cheers for the correction Gondor :thumbsup:

McColm

Librarian

Oh i just love it. I'd pay money to hear Arnie say that name. How about one working for the Fire service, those 3 (5?) GAU-8s used to clear firebreaks ;D. Redwoods to matchsticks in nff seconds.

PR19_Kit

Are you sure that Beetle's not a Tamiya model?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

:o

Someone's stolen the plane out from under that GAU-8!

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Knightflyer

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 12, 2014, 10:37:35 PM

Someone's stolen the plane out from under that GAU-8!

I think it's what all those various insurgents would like to upgrade to from the AA-gun in the back of the Toyota pick-up!  :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Old Wombat

The idea that scooter (b@$t@rd!) put into my head with the 1st Obliterator photochop pic was;

Centre fuselage: YA-10B with wings cut off at the landing gear
Port fuselage: A-10A/C with right wing cut off at the landing gear, remove cockpit, move GAU-8 up, ground search radar placed in lower nose area, swap the
                    nose-gear to the left side
Starboard Fuselage: A-10A/C with left wing cut off at the landing gear, remove cockpit, move GAU-8 up, FLIR targeting pod placed in lower nose area

Keep all 6 engines, link all tail units & keep all tail surfaces & fins, modify inner sets of landing gear to twin-oleo-strut units (maybe twin-wheel, too), run 3 x centre-line drop tanks, lots of bombs & missiles.

In my mind it looks positively Evil! :wacko:

With any luck I'll eventually bash this in 1/72nd scale (not part of the great RAM Plan, so not 1/48).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Librarian

That really is the most amazing photo. Love the A-10, spent hours at the end of Bentwaters airfield watching them come and go...my Gran called them Hoovers. What's fun is when you put a B-25 Gunship next to an A-10 you realise that they are essentially a form of engineering evolution, and about the same size.

PR19_Kit

I always think that 1/72 scale models of A-10s are 1/48 scale, it's a HUGE aeroplane!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Both the A 10 and the YA 9 were literally designed around the GAU 8
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise