Q & A about Aircraft, Armor, Weapons , Transport and Ships

Started by McColm, November 08, 2014, 08:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 28, 2014, 02:13:10 PM
3)  there was this one which was unusual  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFW-Fokker_614

Oh yes, the VFW614, cracking aeroplane.  :thumbsup:

I flew in one from Copenhagen to Bremen once, and demanded a seat next to the engines, just because it looked SO weird looking out the window.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Just happened to notice the link to this in the VFW 614 wiki article;

Honda HA-420 HondaJet
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 28, 2014, 04:00:40 PM
Just happened to notice the link to this in the VFW 614 wiki article;

Honda HA-420 HondaJet

Going WELL off thread, I notice the bit about Honda's legal action against FlightGear for including the HondaJet in their simulation.

Are they mad? There's no such thing as bad publicity!! How come they didn't act against Flight Magazine or even Wikipedia for even mentioning the aircraft?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

They obviously got McDonald's-Disney Disease with their move to US-based manufacturing. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

lenny100

On the jet,rocket subs the uk at least is no longer using a conventional prop. They are now using a stator   is basically a front fan disk from a jet engine inside a cowling. The caterpillar drive from red October a jet engine for subs is a real system but the power needs at the moment are off the scale

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Weaver

Question 4: I don't know of any manned rocket-powered subs, but it's certainly possible in theory since there have been a number of rocket-powered torpedoes and non-encapsulated underwater-launched missiles. The Russians have a rocket-powered torpedo called the Shkval which has two rockets: a big one at the back to push it along and a small, forward-facing one at the front which creates a "sheath" of gas around the body, thus reducing friction with the water. You could make a manned vehicle using the same principle, but for what purpose? Most practical underwater missions demand stealth and/or endurance, rather than speed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

jcf

Quote from: lenny100 on November 29, 2014, 03:19:56 AM
On the jet,rocket subs the uk at least is no longer using a conventional prop. They are now using a stator   is basically a front fan disk from a jet engine inside a cowling. The caterpillar drive from red October a jet engine for subs is a real system but the power needs at the moment are off the scale

Not exactly the pump-jet propulsors have been around for some time and prior to use on UK and US
subs they were used on torpedoes.

Weaver

Quote from: McColm on November 29, 2014, 08:18:07 AM
:blink:
A jet powered rescue  sub would be ideal. :thumbsup:

Not really: it'd be blind. The Shkval only has inertial guidance because sonar doesn't work through the gas sheath.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Question 10)
The Sky Dreadnought as seen on TV over parts of Russia. Built by the Americans as the world's deadliest weapon delivery system.  As long as three aircraft carriers and can travel up to 10,000mph. Anti-gravity propulsion. Fact or fiction?

11)
British Airways sometimes turn over the engines of Concorde kept at Heathrow Airport. Could the SR-71 Blackbird ever fly again?

12)
I've seen photos of 'time travel/travelers', if you could travel back in time . What year would you choose and why?

rickshaw

12.  1066 to witness the Battle of Hastings and solve, once and for all what happened to Harold.   Was it an Arrow in the eye or did he survive the battle and was hunted down?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

scooter

Quote from: McColm on December 24, 2014, 01:34:06 PM
Question 10)
The Sky Dreadnought as seen on TV over parts of Russia. Built by the Americans as the world's deadliest weapon delivery system.  As long as three aircraft carriers and can travel up to 10,000mph. Anti-gravity propulsion. Fact or fiction?

I call creative hoax

Quote from: McColm
11)
British Airways sometimes turn over the engines of Concorde kept at Heathrow Airport. Could the SR-71 Blackbird ever fly again?

If the spare parts are available for both the Blackbird and the tankers; most (if not all) of the -135Qs were converted to R/RT standard.  And if the government decided to have a member of Big Oil start producing JP-7 again.  Of course, in this era of drones, highly unlikely.
12)
I've seen photos of 'time travel/travelers', if you could travel back in time . What year would you choose and why?

Hang out Rome between 60 and 44 BC, to record the speeches of the great orator Cicero, retrieve copies of Caesar's first publishing of Commentaries, and to see the downfall of the Republic.  Of course, if its not a fixed point in time, meddle to see a future world where Caesar wasn't assassinated.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Hobbes

10) Fiction. The word 'anti-gravity' is enough to decide that.

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on December 25, 2014, 08:01:55 AM
10) Fiction. The word 'anti-gravity' is enough to decide that.

If they solved the gravity problem, a lot of things become possible.  Like how to get into space way easier than how they're doing it now
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Quote from: McColm on December 24, 2014, 01:34:06 PM
Question 10)
The Sky Dreadnought as seen on TV over parts of Russia. Built by the Americans as the world's deadliest weapon delivery system.  As long as three aircraft carriers and can travel up to 10,000mph. Anti-gravity propulsion.

What utter garbage. Who believes that kind of stuff?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<