Q & A about Aircraft, Armor, Weapons , Transport and Ships

Started by McColm, November 08, 2014, 08:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

As I said before, I came across the A.W. Apolo which was fitted with both 3 and four propellers. As no other aircraft has been fitted out this way, I can assume that there's no advantage gained in performance or endurance otherwise there would be more than one example listed.

PR19_Kit

Yes there was.

Consolidated Coronados were fitted with 4 bladers on the inboard engines and 3 bladers on the outboards after they found some resonance problems in the fuselage when using 3 bladers on all four engines.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 28, 2014, 03:09:28 AM
Yes there was.

Consolidated Coronados were fitted with 4 bladers on the inboard engines and 3 bladers on the outboards after they found some resonance problems in the fuselage when using 3 bladers on all four engines.

I believe that the same kind of problem was found with some versions of Halifax, but I could be getting mixed up as I am writing this off the top of my head.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Question 13)
Convair had the trademark twin tail fins on most of their aircraft in the flying prototype stage changing over to the single vertical tail fin  on such models as the PB4Y Privateer, B-36 and XC-99.
Is there a big difference in stability between a single and twin or multiple tail fins?

I know deck space on an aircraft carrier or the height of the hanger roof does play a part in the selection but I'm not too sure why Convair changed designs?

wuzak

Quote from: McColm on January 02, 2015, 08:31:24 PM
Question 13)
Convair had the trademark twin tail fins on most of their aircraft in the flying prototype stage changing over to the single vertical tail fin  on such models as the PB4Y Privateer, B-36 and XC-99.
Is there a big difference in stability between a single and twin or multiple tail fins?

I know deck space on an aircraft carrier or the height of the hanger roof does play a part in the selection but I'm not too sure why Convair changed designs?

The PB4Y was the interesting one, being based on the twin fin B-24.

The initial drawings of the B-36 and XC-99 showed twin fins, while the initial B-36 win dtunnel models had twin fins. It may have been because of stability issues that it was changed.

PR19_Kit

Or strength and weight?

I can't help but think that a couple of fins perched on the ends of the tailplane would need extra strengthening of the tailplane to react the yaw loads. If there's only one fin on the centreline the taillplane only has to react to its own self-generated pitch loads and can be lighter as a result.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wuzak

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 02, 2015, 10:57:05 PM
Or strength and weight?

I can't help but think that a couple of fins perched on the ends of the tailplane would need extra strengthening of the tailplane to react the yaw loads. If there's only one fin on the centreline the taillplane only has to react to its own self-generated pitch loads and can be lighter as a result.

Excellent point.

Just found this in Magnesium Overcast by Dennis R. Jenkins:

QuoteWhen the Model 36 mockup had been approved in September 1942, it used vertical stabilizers mounted on the ends of each horizontal stabilizer, much like the B-24. There were initial concerns that the vertical stabilizers could shear of during a heavy landing or under severe flight conditions - continued evaluation led to the twin tail being deleted in favour of a single 47-foot high vertical stabilizer. This change would decrease structural weight by 3,850 pounds, provide additional directional stability, and lower the base drag.