Rusty Mig by Allan

Started by Allan, November 18, 2014, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

at our hobby comp on the weekend I picked up for a cheap price something that I've always wanted to use: rust wash...and a project that has interested me for a long time is to really rust up a metal plane to within an inch of its life...and so I decided to buy this crappy old Kopro MIG 21 to be the guinea pig...the silver is WEM bright silver and as you can see I've made some progress...it's be a quick build with most of the fus attachments dispensed with
Allan in Canberra

PR19_Kit

;D Nice juxtaposition of the aircraft type and the manufacturer of the 'rust'.  :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see the finished result.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Standing by interested.  From the price tag, you may have overpaid for that kit  :wacko:

I too get excited by bargin prices, hey for $6 you almost can't buy it. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Allan

yes, the Mig is a dull thud of a model, but the wash was only A$6 so swings and roundabouts.....the model decals are horrendous, worse than old Esci decals and that's saying something....perhaps a dark wash for the seat after adding brown paper seat belts as I don't plan to waste any metal belts on this loser!!!!
Allan in Canberra

Allan

pit in place and almost ready for fus closure....instrument panel decal on precariously..will forget about rudder pedals, but will probably use the rubbishy kit control column...quick work this time and I think I might be able to have the wings and tailplanes on before the weekend, when we plan to go away for a little while...may do some Uhu canopy sanding while on hols
Allan in Canberra

zenrat

I'm looking forward to seeing what the rust wash looks like.
I use Haymes rust effect on 1/25 cars but I think it's be too coarse on a 1/72 model.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Allan

yes, that'll be the money shot won't it????  but a little while to go before that stage
Allan in Canberra

Gondor

Aluminium doesn't go a brown rust colour though, it Oxidises and goes a powdery white. But I like the idea  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Allan

It's Friday eveining as I write this and here is my progress from Monday--pretty good   now to let the glue dry and start with the perfect plastic putty and get down and dirty with this bad boy and some sanding...I think the canopy may pose a problem or two so if you have any 1/72 Mig 21 canopies lying around send them my way if you're not planning on using 'em
Allan in Canberra

Captain Canada

Looking good Allan ! Keep the updates coming, also interested in seeing how this goes. Rust is somat I've never tried, but have always wanted too.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Allan

plane sanded and then silvered with Tamiya enamel instead of the tinlet stuff...now to let it dry and slap on a coat of the instant rust...exciting isn't it?
Allan in Canberra

Allan

the bottle said apply the stuff over acrylic, but I slapped it on over enamel with some Testor's matt varnish over the silver...it  didn't turn out how I expected and so I'm reluctant to show you what happened...I'm pulling myself together and once I have composed myself I might remove all of it and go for wood varnish...I'm much better at that
Allan in Canberra

kitbasher

Hey playmates don't knock KP/Kopro kits.  They're cheap (mostly), easy to build kits to have fun with and learn/practice skills on - just like FROG/NOVO kits.  And some Matchbox too (but note that Heyford, Stranraer and Wellesley abuse are crimes).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Yes, don't underestimate the original KP kit. I built some of them, and while one can quibble about raised details, not-so-perfect-fit by today's standards and slightly clumsy details, but they are pretty accurate. The MiG-21 is really good, here's one I built MANY years ago, based on an illustration from a GDR-published book about MiG's:

1:72 MiG-21MF, Czechoslovak Air Force "6343"; unknown squadron, early 80ies (Kovozávody Prostejov kit) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

BTW, I just wonder about the rust concept...? An aluminum thing won't rust?

Captain Canada

She looks factory fresh Allan ! Going to be interesting to see her transform

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?