G-VTOL Build

Started by PR19_Kit, November 20, 2014, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2014, 12:18:34 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 05, 2014, 09:55:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2014, 09:21:29 AM

I don't have any burrs for my Dremel either, and I have no idea where to get them as Dremel insist on using their own dia. shaft for the bits and it's too large for any non-Dremel stuff sadly.

The Dremel I have uses 1/8" dia burrs, but then it also has a chuck --- even the flexy drive has a chuck.

Mine has a sort of clutch thing with a screw down bit that squeezes it to grab the shaft of the tool. It only has a very small acceptance diameter though, thus limiting to their own stuff.

Is Dremel a North American company ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2014, 07:47:49 AM
I've got to fitting the intakes, but I have NO idea how Sword intended them to work.  :banghead:

There are some inner liners and the intakes themselves and it looks as if the former are intended to butt up against some ledges on the inside of the latter. But if you do that the inner ends of the liners don't mate up with anywhere on the fan. Conversely if you mate up the liner to the outer edge of the fan the front end doesn't mate with the intake.....

Luckily I'm using the resin intakes with the semi-open blow-in doors so I fitted the liner to the outer edge of the fan and when it dried I Dremelled off the bits that stuck out of the duct, on the line shown by the red arrows, and superglued the new intakes in place after a little filing to ensure they fitted properly.

By now I've glued the other half of the fuselage on, which fits where it touches (!) and it's taken 4 clothes pegs, 3 plastic clamps and a mile of so of Sellotape to hold it all together. I'm expecting LOTS of filing and PSR before it looks good.

Using the Freightdog intakes would have solved this problem as they have the duct moulded with the intakes. Useful for your next build  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I think Dremel is N American, yes.

But I had these intakes on stock anyway and they already have the ducts too, but they don't go all the way to the fan. I'm not sure the Freightdog ones do either.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2014, 05:05:55 PM

But I had these intakes on stock anyway and they already have the ducts too, but they don't go all the way to the fan. I'm not sure the Freightdog ones do either.

I do know that you have used what you have in stock Kit which is why I said next time, however when I find where I put the kit I have I will check the fit and let you know  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Just found my Sword Harrier T2/2A and have checked the depth of the air intake by Freightdog. The intake goes all the way in, or very nearly all the way in. A shim of plastic card on the fan end of the intake would be all that would be needed if you wanted it 100% perfect but I think it will look good enough without that.

Also found why I stopped building mine, I was having serious fit issues with the nose wheel bay, could not get all the parts to agree how they were going to sit together and to match with the fuselage parts  :banghead:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

I'm glad it's not just me that finds this kit such a pain.

Quite how the various reviewers can praise it so much I'm not sure, it would have got a really bad review if I'd been doing them as I did back in the 70s, even without the PE.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Because many reviewers, these days, seem to be the types who normally buy $30(£15)-ish kits & add $560(£300)-ish of resin & PE to make them "worthy". :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

I'll have to look at my kits, but I think I left those parts out and decided on the engine cover route

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!  :o

After mentioning the part-built Air Conversions T2 that I found among my projects, I found ANOTHER one of those conversions!

This time it's completely unbuilt, in a plastic bag with the instructions erc. with all the bits on their substantial sprues. That brings my count of potential two seater Harriers to SIX! I think that's more than all the single seaters I have.  :o

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I've done that to Kit, I'll suddenly find I have multiple boxes of the same kit  ---- and no idea why or when I bought them   :banghead:  probably been to the LMS and bought on a spur of the moment thing ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Yup been there and done it as well  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 10, 2014, 06:51:31 AM
I've done that to Kit, I'll suddenly find I have multiple boxes of the same kit  ---- and no idea why or when I bought them   :banghead:  probably been to the LMS and bought on a spur of the moment thing ---

Never had the funds to do that, but I've been very tempted on several occasions
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet