British BSG Pegasus

Started by seadude, November 22, 2014, 08:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Tell me what you think. I purchased the Moebius BSG Pegasus kit in the vendor room at a past contest. There's not much I want to whif about it except for adding more gun turrets to it and/or changing the name. When I looked at the kit, I noticed a lot of guns were on the bottom and/or facing downward, etc. I intend to correct this by placing extra guns on top in certain areas. The normal amount of guns in the kit is 30. I intend to have about 34-40.
Blue dots indicate gun turret positions on the model kit.
Red dots indicate added guns I definately want to have.
Yellow dots are uncertain positions. I am not sure yet.

I was thinking of changing the name to that of a British carrier name and having British flag emblem decals. Maybe Ark Royal or Invincible perhaps?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Leading Observer

Ark Royal is a tad obvious. How about Illustrious or Eagle?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

JayBee

I fully agree with the use of Ark Royal, my late father was on her when she was sunk. Or how about Thesius, he was on her in the Korean war.

As for gun turrets I think you are being seriously conservative in the numbers you are suggesting. Go for broke and smother the beast in them.  :thumbsup:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

pyro-manic

I'd go for one of the less-obvious ones. Indomitable, Indefatigable, Illustrious, Implacable, Victorious, Formidable, Eagle, Bulwark, Centaur, Colossus, Furious, Glorious, Audacious, etc.

There are plenty of excellent battleship names as well, of course, if none of the above grab you.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

seadude

Quote from: JayBee on November 22, 2014, 09:23:23 AM

As for gun turrets I think you are being seriously conservative in the numbers you are suggesting. Go for broke and smother the beast in them.  :thumbsup:

Jim

Maybe, but..........I don't want to be overzealous with them and make the ship crowded with them. I just want to add enough to cover firing arcs that aren't properly covered.  :thumbsup:
Now, as for a new name for the ship, I definately want to stay with a carrier name for sure.

Any other additions or deletions that people can think of? Paint schemes? New decals?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

pyro-manic

White ensign needs to go somewhere, obviously, and/or perhaps roundels? As for paint, I'd stick with the standard light grey, or perhaps go for a wartime camo scheme as seen on (eg.) Formidable?

There was actually a carrier called Pegasus which was originally called Ark Royal, the first purpose-built RN carrier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ark_Royal_(1914)

andrewj

How about "HMS Triumph" , sounds about right for a Battlestar.

Andrew

lancer

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 22, 2014, 09:26:16 AM
I'd go for one of the less-obvious ones. Indomitable, Indefatigable, Illustrious, Implacable, Victorious, Formidable, Eagle, Bulwark, Centaur, Colossus, Furious, Glorious, Audacious, etc.

There are plenty of excellent battleship names as well, of course, if none of the above grab you.

It's a damm shame that these names weren't considered for the new flat tops that the RN is getting instead of those silly bloody names they are getting!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

pyro-manic

The "I"s were used for the Harrier carriers, so they won't come around again for a while. Audacious is one of the new attack subs, Bulwark (and Albion) are the assault ships, Victorious is one of the Trident boats. I do agree though, some great names. The old battleship names are even better IMO. Conqueror, Thunderer, Centurion, Temeraire, Lion, Tiger, etc. :wub: Some have been used for subs, but not enough!

QE I'm fine with, but Prince of Wales is both uninspiring (Charlie isn't the most impressive specimen :rolleyes: ) and has negative connotations - the last PoW was lost in pretty poor fashion. I would have suggested Queen Victoria for the second ship, as there was never a "golden era" (ie Dreadnought up to WW2) capital ship named after her. Quite an omission IMO. It would also be fitting as Lizzie seems likely to match Victoria's longevity record shortly. I'd love to see a new Eagle.

Martin H

The names arnt that silly. Some one in the navy had the sense to choose names for the carriers that no politician would risk their chance of a peerage (or higher honor) by canceling the ships named after the big boss and number one son.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Assuming that this British battlestar is going to fit into the BSG universe, I'd go for either mythological names (precedent established) or "characteristic" names. You can see how present day Earth mythology might be descended from forgotten Colonial origins, but the name Ark Royal is specifically linked to the British monarchy and as far as I know, there were no monarchs in the Twelve Colonies.

Centaur fits well with the other battlestar names. If the way to shoehorn a "British" cuture into BSG is to have a distinctive sub-colony, then Albion would be a good name for the whole planet.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Martin H on November 22, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
The names arnt that silly. Some one in the navy had the sense to choose names for the carriers that no politician would risk their chance of a peerage (or higher honor) by canceling the ships named after the big boss and number one son.

The Prince of Wales has allegedly quietly agreed to the name of the second carrier being changed to Ark Royal after it's too far gone to cancel: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8487325/Prince-Charles-saves-Ark-Royal.html

There's a lovely quote in there:

"A senior Navy officer said it was virtually unheard of to change the name of a ship that was already being built. "

That "senior Navy officer" needs to read more history books: the gyrations of stops, starts, and name changes in the building programme after WWII are mind-blowing!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Oi, frak me running, 'Prince of Wales' as a ship name has f-all to do with whatever inbred prat holds
the title at the time the ship is commissioned. Never has, never will. I'm rather surprised at Brits
who don't understand that simple reality.

As to a 'Brit' BSG name, realistically (in terms of the story) there can't be one as the whole BSG
myth takes place long before before Earth history. That said HMS Argus fits the overall pseudo-Greek
narrative of the original series (which is actually heavily based on Mormon bullshit, woops excuse me,
Mormon mythology).

HMS Argus on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Argus_(I49)

Runway ? ...

How about "HMS Camden Lock". :)

HMS Felgercarb, HMS Frak ?
War Daggit was used in the original series.
From the colonial legal system
Opposer, which acts as the prosecution
Protector, which acts as the defense for the accused.

Steel Penguin

or Avalon, but you'd need to have captain   Brian Ferry
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!