British BSG Pegasus

Started by seadude, November 22, 2014, 08:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

(OK, I know it's the Romanisation of the Greek Odysseus but...) What about Ulysses? :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 22, 2014, 08:42:45 PM
Oi, frak me running, 'Prince of Wales' as a ship name has f-all to do with whatever inbred prat holds
the title at the time the ship is commissioned. Never has, never will. I'm rather surprised at Brits
who don't understand that simple reality.

The present incumbent has been incumbing for so long that most people can't remember anyone else ever having the title, so whatever the "correct" view, most people will associate a ship called PoW with Charlie-boy whether you like it or not.

As to a 'Brit' BSG name, realistically (in terms of the story) there can't be one as the whole BSG
myth takes place long before before Earth history. That said HMS Argus fits the overall pseudo-Greek
narrative of the original series (which is actually heavily based on Mormon bullshit, woops excuse me,
Mormon mythology).

HMS Argus on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Argus_(I49)

True, but despite that, "ancient" BSG culture bears more than a passing resemblance to 21st century American, so why can't some odd corner of it be equally anachronistically "British"?  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Oi, frak me running, 'Prince of Wales' as a ship name has f-all to do with whatever inbred prat holds
the title at the time the ship is commissioned. Never has, never will. I'm rather surprised at Brits

Interestingly the most famous HMS Prince of Wales (probably anyway) was christened such when there wasn't anyone holding the title and there wouldn't be for 20 years or more. Also she was originally to be named King Edward VIII but was renamed when he abdicated.

As for Brits who don't understand Jon, that's a little harsh  ;) You are not wrong in assuming that a lot of people will think she is named after the present incumbent rather then named after the title but that is understandable given that most people don't actually think about it and probably wouldn't give a fig if they did.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on November 23, 2014, 06:07:05 PM

The present incumbent has been incumbing for so long that most people can't remember anyone else ever having the title, so whatever the "correct" view, most people will associate a ship called PoW with Charlie-boy whether you like it or not.

As to a 'Brit' BSG name, realistically (in terms of the story) there can't be one as the whole BSG
myth takes place long before before Earth history. That said HMS Argus fits the overall pseudo-Greek
narrative of the original series (which is actually heavily based on Mormon bullshit, woops excuse me,
Mormon mythology).

HMS Argus on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Argus_(I49)

True, but despite that, "ancient" BSG culture bears more than a passing resemblance to 21st century American, so why can't some odd corner of it be equally anachronistically "British"?  ;)
The heavily Canadian cast and Vancouver locations might generate an argument with some folks as
to the 'culture'.  ;)

Anyhow if you go by the info on the Wiki page re the 'Twelve Colonies' of the reboot, Virgon seems
to be the most 'British' in an exagerrated Wodehouse or Waugh fashion.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Colonies#Society_and_homeworlds

Runway ? ...

Just a some suggestions, we currently have HMS (SSN) Ambush, HMS (SSBN) Vengeance and HMS Victory on the books.
HMS Warrior in its day could take on anyone's navy and shrug them off.
HMS Campbeltown (USS Buchanan) could also take one for the team.
Oh yeah, and HMS Dreadnaught :)

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 24, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
Anyhow if you go by the info on the Wiki page re the 'Twelve Colonies' of the reboot, Virgon seems
to be the most 'British' in an exagerrated Wodehouse or Waugh fashion.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Colonies#Society_and_homeworlds

Yes, I agree with that, in which case Albion is freed up as a possible mythological battlestar name. Since not much seems to have been detailed about Virgon, you might reasonably extend the Greek/Roman "borrowing" of the rest of the series to include pre/non-Christian British elements such as Celtic mythology and Arthurian legend.

Various suggestions:

Centaur (Greek name, RN carrier)
Argus (Greek name, RN carrier)
Albion (RN carrier)
Excalibur
Cernunnos
Epona
Rhiannon
Morrigan
Taranis
Pendragon
Galahad
Arturus
Avalon
Cymbeline
Merlin
Weyland

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Quote from: Runway ? ... on November 24, 2014, 10:38:47 AM
Just a some suggestions, we currently have HMS (SSN) Ambush, HMS (SSBN) Vengeance and HMS Victory on the books.

That's Dreadnought. Picky, perhaps, but I feel it's important. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Old Wombat

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 25, 2014, 10:12:44 AM

"nought" is a recognised variation on the spelling of "naught" & means exactly the same thing, & is the progenitor of the British "nowt".

Just as "recognised" and "recognized" are accepted versions of each other & "a$$" (Heaven help us!) has become an accepted variation of the word "arse".

colour = color
centre = center (but center also = center :-\ )

;D ;D ;D

What a scream! The auto-censor picked up on the "donkey" word & left the good Anglo-Saxon original alone! God, I love American programmers! Anyway, I've bodgied it for the nonce.

PR19_Kit

It depends on your definition of 'recognised'................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 25, 2014, 04:35:42 PM

What a scream! The auto-censor picked up on the "donkey" word & left the good Anglo-Saxon original alone! God, I love American programmers! Anyway, I've bodgied it for the nonce.

Good old Sweary Mary. What a shame she wouldn't let you say "ass"...... ;)

- Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 25, 2014, 04:35:42 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on November 25, 2014, 10:12:44 AM

"nought" is a recognised variation on the spelling of "naught" & means exactly the same thing, & is the progenitor of the British "nowt".

Just as "recognised" and "recognized" are accepted versions of each other & "a$$" (Heaven help us!) has become an accepted variation of the word "arse".

colour = color
centre = center (but center also = center :-\ )

;D ;D ;D

Yes, but the name is Dreadnought. Spelling it Dreadnaught is incorrect.

Like spelling my name (Alun) as Alan or Allan or Allen or even Alyn. They're all wrong, and it's infuriating (and quite insulting) when people continue to get it wrong once they've been told. A frequent occurrence, unfortunately.

Old Wombat

Oops! Sorry, pyro (Alun ;D ), I read your post after a night shift when tired but still unable to sleep & read it as "What's Dreadnought."

:banghead:

Guy

pyro-manic

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on November 27, 2014, 12:54:22 AM
Like spelling my name (Alun) as Alan or Allan or Allen or even Alyn. They're all wrong, and it's infuriating (and quite insulting) when people continue to get it wrong once they've been told. A frequent occurrence, unfortunately.

Take it "Ellen" is quite out of the question then?  ;)

- Indiana Jones