A-7 Corsair, Silverwind-modded - FINISHED!

Started by silverwindblade, November 23, 2014, 12:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: silverwindblade on January 25, 2015, 01:01:22 AM
I've actually already got the tail on, and taken photos. I'm just being lazy about putting them up. It's only a single tail, sadly, but it was a chance to use one that's been sitting around in my bits box for a while, and I had it in mind for the build from the start. The V-tail would've looked good though, you're right.

Make twin ventral fins that fold to the side like the Super Crusader.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

silverwindblade

QuoteSounds like you may have an A-7 tail in the spares box though

Yeah, I believe I do have the tail for the A-7 in my spares drawer somewhere - if you need/want it for something let me know and it's yours.

QuoteMake twin ventral fins that fold to the side like the Super Crusader.

It has two stubby ventral fins, salvaged from the previous failed version of my F-16X.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

kerick

Extra wing tips, check, multiple fins, check, pointy nose, check, rip roaring engine, check, extra lumps and bumps, check! Fine progress my friend, looking forward to the next episode!  :cheers:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

No I'm good, but thanks for the kindness ! I was just kinda thinking out loud, that you cleared space in the spares dept. but promptly filled it back in with the tail you aren't using  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

silverwindblade

Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

silverwindblade

This is going along well!

I had good enough weather to undercoat it today, along with a lot of the fiddly little bits (i.e. undercart and doors) that'll be attached to it as well. Next step will be to shoot the bays and the intake tunnel with a coat of flat white before masking and covering them off, and then it's on to the paint. I'd really like to do that blue/grey scheme I've seen on corsairs, and I'm tempted to try and freehand it or do it with a soft edge, but my airbrushing skills are frankly cack, and I'm worried about ruining the model by having to sand off the paint or strip it. I'll have to practice first, I think, or read up on tips and hints.

kerick

Is this the pattern you are thinking of?

I did this once in 1/72nd and cut paper masks after scaling up the instruction sheet painting diagram to 1/72. I used thick double faced tape cut about an eight of an inch less than the masks. This left the edge of the paper hanging over the tape and above the surface of the model. This allowed a nice feathered edge when spraying straight at the surface. Careful with the double faced tape as some have quite a grip and it would be hard to get off again. To lessen the grip of the tape adhesive dab the sticky side to your chin or forehead. The skin oil is just enough to make it easier to get off.

This project would look sharp in that pattern.
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

That's looking good! :thumbsup:

The other thing you can do to get the feathered effect is use blu-tack "snakes" as per normal cammo, but make them a much bigger diameter to get some overhang, then spray straight at the surface.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on February 16, 2015, 01:31:14 PM
That's looking good! :thumbsup:

The other thing you can do to get the feathered effect is use blu-tack "snakes" as per normal cammo, but make them a much bigger diameter to get some overhang, then spray straight at the surface.

I've heard Silly Putty works well for that.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

That does look good ! Love the A-7.

:cheers: :tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

silverwindblade

This has made a lot of progress - I abandoned the camo scheme as it was causing me to lose a lot of enjoyment in building the model (still not used to my airbrush, and it seems to make some things more work than fun at the moment), and went for an all-over light grey instead. It's been gloss varnished, and I'm now applying decals ahead of weathering... my god, there are a lot of decals.

Pics to follow when I have a little more time!

silverwindblade

I finally got this about as finished as it's going to get.

Apologies for being a little out of focus in this image.

I think this image makes it look best, and really makes it look pungnacious and burly, but kind of sleek.
I had to abandon the down-turned winglets in the end, as they interfered with the AMRAAM's on the wingtips. As it is, the wingtip rails look pretty good anyway.

The panel lining didn't come out especially evenly on the top of the wings, unfortunately, but I'm still pleased with the end results. And I really love how the canopy ended up too. I had to remove it to touch up the painting at one stage, and I'm please it worked so well.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!