A swing Wing F-117

Started by Jesse220, November 24, 2014, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

Ever thought if the F-117 Nighthawk was a swing wing fighter? :rolleyes:

McColm

Yes.
I tried the idea using the Airfix 1/72 kit as the wings are seporate in the construction. Saves cutting up other kits that have them moulded to the upper and lower halves but the Airfix kit has no internal weapons bay. Which means either scratch building or kitbashing another 1/72 F-117 kit.
I tried using the wings from the Airfix F-111. With limited skills at the time I couldn't make it work, but I used the wings from another Airfix kit the RA-5C instead.
I then set about carefully removing the plastic shaped triangle area behind the Airfix model cockpit to create a large window. My intention was to put another to seats facing the rear to build a EF-117. Single fin taken from a EF-111A and a the canoe fairing from the RA-5C kit glued to the Airfix weapons bay.
I never got around to finishing the build but "The Beast" the remaining parts of the Airfix RA-5C and the wings off a 1/144 B-2 Stealth Bomber can be found on my FaceBook page by searching under:
Steven James McColm
Photos.

Gondor

McColm, no point in trying to build an EF-117 as its a contradiction in terms.

The basic concept of a swing wing F-117 is nice though, the difficulty would be in having a good non radar reflective seal between the wing and the fuselage which is probably part of the reasons why nothing like that has been tried in real life.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

In whiffland anything is possible.
The Americans built a nuclear bunker and disguised as a hotel. It wasn't until the new owners did some building work that they knew it was there.

Jesse220

Perfect, I can't wait to see it