San Antonio class LPD ideas, suggestions, and whifs.

Started by seadude, November 29, 2014, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Couldn't find a topic on this, so........

Discuss the U.S. Navy's SAN ANTONIO class LPD amphibious assault ships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio-class_amphibious_transport_dock

Many options have been proposed by Huntington Ingalls and others for conversions of this class of ship for humanitarian relief, hospital ship, ballistic missile defense platform, and numerous others.

What ideas, suggestions, and whifs can others think of for this class of ship? I've already bought a 1/350 Bronco Models USS San Diego LPD that I may convert into a ballistic missile defense ship similar to here:
http://intercepts.defensenews.com/2013/04/hii-shows-off-new-bmd-ship-concept-at-sea-air-space/
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

pyro-manic

That BMD proposal seems rather, uh, conflicted. Why does it have a gun, and a big hangar deck? A BMD ship needs neither. It's also a very large, and slow hull. Any Aegis ship is going to be expensive, but surely a BMD ship would be better based on an air warfare design, so that it could be flexible? This concept smacks of the old Arsenal Ship idea more than anything else, but with a gun as well. ???

An interesting whiffy idea would be a surveillance/reconnaissance/command and control ship. The USSR had several very cool looking ships, including a nuclear-powered one built on a Kirov-class hull: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_communications_ship_SSV-33

I think something like that could be really interesting - lots of exotic gadgetry and gizmos, black-ops types flying their tricked-out Ospreys or whatever from it, etc.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Cobra

Would the Class lend itself to use as a USCG Rescue Platform? i could picture such a Ship Launch Rescue Aircraft when an SOS is Detected! Dan

sandiego89

Quote from: Cobra on November 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM
Would the Class lend itself to use as a USCG Rescue Platform? i could picture such a Ship Launch Rescue Aircraft when an SOS is Detected! Dan

A bit overkill for a dedicated USCG SAR platform.  It would be a very interesting asset for the counter drug mission run by joint intergancy task force south, JIATF south.  It could serve as a mother ship for patrol boats (USCG, USN or partners), helos and unmanned detection platforms (air and surface).  A hunter killer concept, with the patrol boats and armed helos being the main interdiction platform. With the right pouncers, the speed of the mothership is not that important. A few patrol boats could work with it and come back every few days for fuel and crew rest or swap out.  Would have plenty of endurance to remain on station for months.  With the US navy accelerated retirement of the FFG's, and the LCS lacking endurance, there is neeed for platforms and it could serve as a good mothership.

Operating in a similiar concept, could also be for sanctions enforcement, or anti-piracy mothership.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 30, 2014, 12:14:10 PM
Quote from: Cobra on November 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM

A bit overkill for a dedicated USCG SAR platform. 

There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to saving lives (this coming from the guy who took the Malkin and turned it into a USCG helo carrier). Knocked this Shipbucket scale profile up this afternoon-
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

I do question the flight deck surrounded by missile launchers. Fire off a few missiles what happens to your aircraft? The BMD mission seems to require launching very quickly, not enough time to mess around clearing a flight deck. Would the gun be for self defense?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Make it an icebreaker scoot and ye'll make everybody happy.  ;D

seadude

QuoteAn interesting whiffy idea would be a surveillance/reconnaissance/command and control ship.

That might not be too bad of an idea. ;) Use the San Antonio class to replace the older Blue Ridge class command ships.

QuoteA bit overkill for a dedicated USCG SAR platform.

I concur on this as well.

QuoteMake it an icebreaker scoot and ye'll make everybody happy.

An icebreaker might be possible. Or.........other options could include: Large oceanographic research ship, Science/Exploration research ship, Missile Range Instrumentation/Tracking ship
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

The USS San Diego SAN ANTONIO class LPD I ordered is on it's way and I should have it early next week. I've been giving some thought about what I said in my opening post and I don't think I will build it into a BMD ship. I think I like these ideas better, but am not sure which to go with. Any thoughts?
Either:
a) Command and Control ship to replace aging Blue Ridge class ships.
b) Missile Range Instrumentation/Tracking ship.

Old Wombat

I'd go with a), gives it a more active role & one better suited to a newer(ish) ship.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 02, 2014, 06:25:04 PM
I'd go with a), gives it a more active role & one better suited to a newer(ish) ship.

Well, if it was turned into a command and control ship, then what additions or deletions do you forsee for antennaes and other electronic sensors and systems? Should I keep both of the stealthy radar masts or remove/replace both of them?
I can probably see a bit more sensor and electronic domes being put on the ship, but am not sure what else.

ennobee

On another level, I think we already mentioned oceanographic research ship, like as in sold to Monte Carlo and used as a big scale successor to the late Cousteau's Calypso.... The dry-dock launching well could easily accommodate a couple of nifty looking mini-submarines.... Plus you might incorporate the color scheme from the old Calypso.

Or while we're at it. Sell the ship to Clive Cussler and make it NUMA's new flagship. I'd have to re-watch 'Sahara' to see if they show some thing like an official color scheme but you could put the wreckage of Amelia Earnhardt's plane on the helicopter deck and write in the caption that they just happened to stumble upon it by chance while saving the world from a megalomaniac criminal mastermind once again...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ennobee on December 02, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
Sell the ship to Clive Cussler and make it NUMA's new flagship. I'd have to re-watch 'Sahara' to see if they show some thing like an official color scheme ......

NUMA paints everything turquoise if I remember the books correctly, all-over turquoise for goodness sake!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Go4fun

Give Kit the golden cigar! As a Cussler fan and a Pitt fan I can say he scored a bullseye.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

DarrenP

hospital ship replacing mercy & comfort. command ship, small vessel support ship for patrol boats and mcmv