Arado Ar-234 C-3, Luftwaffe April 1945 (III./ EKG 1)

Started by nönöbär, November 30, 2014, 08:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Arado Ar-234 C-3

The Plane:

The Arado Ar-234 C-3 was the last production variant of the Arado 234 jet bomber. Equipped with four Junkers Jumo 004B-1 engines, this plane was said to reach speed up to 900 kph, which was  more than 150 kph faster than its two engined sister.
In reality, only three of those planes were build and did not see any operational usage. But in the what-if world, things are different ... :)

In April 1945, the exiting Ar-234 C-3 were converted as V1 carriers for airborn V1 launches. As the infrastructure of the V! launch pads was destroyed at this time, airborne launches were the only chance to get the V1 into the air.
For takeoff, solid boosters were required to bring the additional weight of the V1 into the air. By the end of the war, only very few missions of this kind were flows and the remaining Ar 234-C3 were destroyed before being captured by American troops. 

Arado 234 C-3

Arado 234 C-3 preparing for a V1 deployment mission

The Model:
This is a quite old 1:72 Revell kit. I doubt that with the V1, drop tanks, and bomb load, it would be able to fly at all, but it looks cool :)
Airbrushed with Revell Aqua Color, the decals are from the original model.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Gondor

I agree about carrying the bomb as well as the V1.

Nice build of that old kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It's even older than it looks as it was a FROG kit originally.

You've made a super job of such an ancient moulding nonobar.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dumaniac

nönöbär

Quote from: Flyer on November 30, 2014, 10:05:15 PM
Would the V-1's pulsejet cause damage to the Arado's fin when it's started :-\

I don't know... so lets think that the V1's engine is started after it is launched form the Arado. Would be at least better for the pilot.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

zenrat

Very good.
I've seen pics of He 111s with a V1 tucked under a wing.  Did they ever actually air launch any?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

The RW proposal had two long hinged arms that lifted the V1 well above the Ar234's fuselage before launch so the pulse jet exhaust was above the fin. I have an idea that the arms are in the kit but moulded in their fully retracted position.

Quote from: zenrat on December 01, 2014, 12:16:59 AM
I've seen pics of He 111s with a V1 tucked under a wing.  Did they ever actually air launch any?

They did, the world's first air launched cruise missile even. When the Northern France sites were over-run after D-Day the Luftwaffe flew the He111/V1 combos from airfields in Holland and launched them over the North Sea.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 01, 2014, 01:24:56 AM

The RW proposal had two long hinged arms that lifted the V1 well above the Ar234's fuselage before launch so the pulse jet exhaust was above the fin. I have an idea that the arms are in the kit but moulded in their fully retracted position.

They did, the world's first air launched cruise missile even. When the Northern France sites were over-run after D-Day the Luftwaffe flew the He111/V1 combos from airfields in Holland and launched them over the North Sea.

Some landed in our wider local area (at least one military target was hit, a Halifax at RAF Pocklington).  From what I can gather, air launch of the V1 was even more indiscriminate than ground launch and there was a lengthy procedure that left the aircraft vulnerable.  Failure rate was high and there was a good chance that the missile would blow up on launch and destroy the carrying aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

comrade harps

Nice doing. Looks the goods.  :thumbsup:

Sometimes been tempted to do a USAF or USMC Mitchell with a US-built V-1 up top against Japan (the twin fins keeping the tail out of the way of the jet exhaust).
Whatever.

sandiego89

Well done, agree that is a great result with an old kit.   :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Lovely subject put into an interesting setting. Love looking at this one. I'd appreciate a few more pics too ! Seems there's always something new to see every time I look  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quite a lot were aimed at Antwerp as well as the UK. If I recall correctly Antwerp was target by more V1's then the UK in total. An aunt's AA unit was one of the batteries sent over from the UK and I think this was the first time women had been sent overseas in a combat unit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.