Alternative Electronic Warfare Aircraft

Started by McColm, December 05, 2014, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Electronic Warfare aircraft are used to degrade the effectiveness of enemy radar and radio systems.
The RAF used the Avro Lancaster during WWII which dispensed chaff to blind enemy air defence radars. 100 Squardon used Halifaxes, Liberators and B-17 Flying Fortresses.
What Whiffs either built or in the pipeline you have planned to build?
There are three main groups:
Fighter based-two seaters
Bombers
Business jets
There are exceptions such as the EA-6B Prowler, but I think I've come up with an alternative the EF-55 Lightning. Using the T-55 as a base. Another idea is a four seater Lightning.
Other ideas include:
EF-117
Rafale E
EF Typhoon
EA-7
Buccaneer
A400 Atlas
Shackleton
Piaggo Avanti
Starship
B-29/B-50

lenny100

The eb-52 is again doing the rounds as a usaf replacement of the prowler they don't want the f18 glowler
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lenny100 on December 05, 2014, 12:02:40 PM
The eb-52 is again doing the rounds as a usaf replacement of the prowler they don't want the f18 glowler

They already had one, the EF-111, and it worked pretty well. Why did they get rid of it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

For the RAF, I could see the HS-125 being used. Enough room for 4 operators plus some equipment racks. Dominie E.2?

pyro-manic

Lightning would be a terrible choice for an EW platform. You need range and loiter time, which the Lightning does not have.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I've a Spitfire E.19 radar spoofer.

I had plans for an EW Avro York w. Merlin 85s.

I'm still toying with the Avro Tudor as an AEW platform but the only one I have I've earmarked as a transport.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 05, 2014, 12:56:17 PM
Isn't that what the Sentinel does ?

No, that's more of a ground surveillance platform using hi-res radar, like a mini-JSTARS.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 05, 2014, 12:55:17 PM
Lightning would be a terrible choice for an EW platform. You need range and loiter time, which the Lightning does not have.

Agreed: the Buccaneer would make way more sense than the Lightning. If the RAF had gone down the route of dedicated SEAD/EW fast jets, you might well imagine them with a bomb bay full of electronics and a similar capability to an F-4G. Maybe it would have UK equipment such as an earlier pre-cursor of the Skyshadow jamming pod and a "super-MARTEL" like the AS.137 ARMAT.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 05, 2014, 12:06:21 PM
Quote from: lenny100 on December 05, 2014, 12:02:40 PM

They already had one, the EF-111, and it worked pretty well. Why did they get rid of it?

Because they were retiring the rest of the F-111 fleet and it wasn't judged economical to keep a small "orphan" fleet flying or retain the spares. With hindsight, not so smart.... :rolleyes:

What I don't understand is why they can't or won't put the EF-18G avionics system into an F-15E airframe if the USAF are being snotty about buying a "naval" aircraft. Yes, I completely understand that it's not "simple" but it seems eminently doable, and it would help keep the F-15 line open should they decide they need any more for other roles.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

The USN seemed to fall over itself to get rid of the S-3 Viking, even though it had a useful EW version and could have been adapted to do other EW roles. I suspect this was because the strike-oriented aviators who run the USN never wanted an ASW aircraft taking up valuable fighter space on their carriers in the first place... :rolleyes:

Anyway, what if their attitude had been different and they'd converted them for EW and/or they'd sold some off to other nations for similar purposes?

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

On the subject of the EF-111 Raven, here's an idea: Prowlerise it, i.e. get an EF-111 kit and splice an extra cockpit section in to make it a four-seater. Present it in standard cammo and that'd make people look twice at a model show... :wacko:

- Indiana Jones

McColm

The Hunter and the Dragon Fly. Been thinking of a four seater EF-111A for ages. Managed a three seater by adding a small window on the port side and added the wings from an Airfix RA-5C.
Perhaps the two seater A-10B , EA-10B Electric Hog?
Then the Avro 146.

Weaver

How about one of the V-bombers converted to provide EW cover and diversionary attacks for the main force? Bomb bay full of jammers, a forest of blade aerials and pods and air-launched decoys under the wings.

- Indiana Jones