Alternative Electronic Warfare Aircraft

Started by McColm, December 05, 2014, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiglet

Being "pedantic"  the Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling et al, ALL dropped "Window". Yes I know it was renamed "Chaff " by our Trans At cousins.... but that was later

chiglet

How about one of the V-bombers converted to provide EW cover and diversionary attacks for the main force? Bomb bay full of jammers, a forest of blade aerials and pods and air-launched decoys under the wings.

A good read is "The Penetraters" about a V Bomber  raid on the USA  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: chiglet on December 05, 2014, 02:46:45 PM
How about one of the V-bombers converted to provide EW cover and diversionary attacks for the main force? Bomb bay full of jammers, a forest of blade aerials and pods and air-launched decoys under the wings.

Read it: it's on my bookshelf!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 05, 2014, 04:47:56 PM
Quote from: chiglet on December 05, 2014, 02:46:45 PM

Read it: it's on my bookshelf!  :thumbsup:

My copy is worn to a mere shadow of it's former self!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I have an A-7K that I'm thinking of doing as an EA-7K to support A-7D/E mud-mover op's.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

lenny100

got  a idea for a HP 400 as a very early airborne anti radio aircraft from the 1920's
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

famvburg

Why would the USAF be looking to replace the Prowler? Since when do they see to USN replacements? Or is this all just Whif?

lenny100

Quote from: famvburg on December 06, 2014, 07:20:45 AM
Why would the USAF be looking to replace the Prowler? Since when do they see to USN replacements? Or is this all just Whif?
With the retirement of the EF-111 Raven in 1998, the EA-6B was the only dedicated aerial radar jammer aircraft of the U.S. Armed Forces, until the fielding of the Navy's EA-18G Growler in 2009. The EA-6B has been flown in almost all American combat operations since 1972, and is frequently flown in support of the U.S. Air Force missions.

124 Prowlers remained in 2001 divided between twelve Navy, four Marine, and four joint Navy-Air Force "Expeditionary" squadrons. A Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) staff study recommended that the EF-111 Raven be retired to reduce the types of aircraft dedicated to the same mission, which led to an Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) program memorandum to establish 4 land based "expeditionary" Prowler squadrons to meet the needs of the Air Force.

The USN plans to fly the EA-6B until 2015, while the USMC expect to phase out the Prowler in 2019.
The last Navy deployment was on George H.W. Bush 2014, with VAQ-134
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

seadude

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lockheed's AMSS (Advanced Multi-mission Sensor System) project yet.
The top aircraft in the pic is configured for ASUW (Anti-surface warfare), and the bottom aircraft is configured for AEW (Airborne Early Warning). If I had a S-3 Viking kit, I'd bet both of those aircraft art concepts could be built from S-3 Viking kits.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

I like that, especially the anti-sub one with the tall fin.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

AEW? or is that one of those roof boxes people put on their cars when the missus packs so many shoes the boot is full?

Why was it called "Window"?  Randomly assigned codename?

I'm thinking Cap'n Fat Hamsters Handley Page Henfield might have to have a radio room with a powerful jammer to block his prey signalling for help.
And maybe when I get build the second Heyford based whiff it can be an AEW plane with a rotating array of ear trumpets on the top?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 07, 2014, 12:16:46 AM
And maybe when I get build the second Heyford based whiff it can be an AEW plane with a rotating array of ear trumpets on the top?

ROTFL!  ;D :lol: ;D :lol:

LOVE the idea! Like an airborne version of the Denge Acoustic Mirror site.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on December 07, 2014, 12:16:46 AM
AEW? or is that one of those roof boxes people put on their cars when the missus packs so many shoes the boot is full?

Why was it called "Window"?  Randomly assigned codename?

I'm thinking Cap'n Fat Hamsters Handley Page Henfield might have to have a radio room with a powerful jammer to block his prey signalling for help.

You know, you could get a whole series of comedy models out of the theme of "low-tech high-tech", i.e. biplane-era equivalents of modern technology.

Airborne Early Warning : big biplane with a rotating array of trumpet-shaped sound-locators,

Stealth : biplane with canvas sheets rigged underneath it and in between the wing struts with paintings of empty blue sky on them,

Electrical Counter-Measures : big biplane with belt-driven generators running off the engines (or windmills) and an array of Frankenstein's Lab-style electrical devices installed on the fuselage: towers of insulator rings, pair of copper balls with sparks flying between them, Van de Graaff generators etc...

Wireless Intelligence Gathering : biplane rigged with a mass of wire aerials suspended between "masts" like an old-fashioned warship*

"Automatic aeroplane bomb" carrier: big biplane carrying a little two-place biplane with a very obviously clockwork autopilot installed in the rear cockpit, cartoon bomb in the front cockpit, no undercarriage and a ladder for the bomb-aimer to climb down the outside of the carrier aircraft to "program" it.

* "Wireless? It's all bloody wires!" - My grandma's response to my uncle's attempt to build a home-made radio in the 1940s... ;D

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Heavy Lift Transport : Two, or more, largish bi-planes with the cargo carried in a monster net slung between them.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Anti-Submarine Warfare : big biplane with a diving bell with big windows and lots of lights hanging underneath it on a cable.

- Indiana Jones