SR-75 Penetrator as B-3 bomber?

Started by seadude, December 07, 2014, 06:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Saw a topic on the Starship Modeler forums discussing old stealth kits and it reminded me about the following:

I've had a 1/72 Testor SR-75 Penetrator kit for a long, long time. I started building it long ago, but never got very far. One idea I've always had was to build it into a next generation B-3 stealth bomber. Only major downside is that I'd have to scratchbuild some weapon bays for it. And I'm not sure what paint scheme to use either: a) All black, or b) Grey w/ black leading edges, or c) All medium or dark grey, or d) Gunship grey color similar to that used on the B-2.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Why not try negative pre-shading or post-shading?

Something similar to what they tried to do on the F-15 & other aircraft, but failed because they used different base colours & made the boundaries too sharp.

The idea was to remove the shadows & highlights which created the image of "plane" in the viewers mind & to create a flat greyish object with no definition.

More subtle & blended shade, rather than colour, variations should work really well.

I'm sure a good whiffer, like yourself, could do better than the USAF! :thumbsup:

Oh, & I'd suggest a generic neutral grey as your base colour. <_<
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

Jesse220

pyro-manic

I say go for it! As for scratching bomb bays, if that seems too daunting, then you can just scribe a set of doors into the fuselage.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Go for it ! Scratching bomb bays is easy. Just scribe and cut, then build boxes to fit inside. There are any number of kits out there with bomb bays to raid or get idea on how simple or complicated to make it. Besides, once it's crammed with weapons you won't see much anyway !

I'd go black like the SR.....keep the titanium look going.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams "paint it pink and erect a 'somebody else's problem' field around it".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..