Blackburn B.44

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 09, 2014, 12:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Mossie

Feasible, yes.  The B.20 showed that the concept worked, however, it was felt that configuration didn't offer enough advantage over more conventional flying boats.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

I feel it's always nice to have pictures so we know what we're talking about.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

Never heard of it ! Looks strange in both configurations. Kinda like a Spitfire as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

The B-44 was a lot bigger than a Spitfire, not the least because it was effectively a Firebrand with a retractable hull grafted onto the bottom.

The Firebrand was a BIG aeroplane for a single engine, single seat 'fighter', 51 ft. span and 11500 lbs. empty!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Got to admit, the retractable float is a clever solution to how to have a single-engined fighter floatplane and not suffer the massive drag from a separate float.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

KJ_Lesnick

Does anybody have any comprehensive data on the design? 

By comprehensive I mean information that includes things like

• Dimensions/Wing Area
  • Weights (loaded and empty)
  • Armament
  • Projected top-speed
And stuff of that sort
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Look up stuff on the Firebrand, it won't be that far out.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 09, 2014, 07:10:00 PM
Does anybody have any comprehensive data on the design? 

By comprehensive I mean information that includes things like

• Dimensions/Wing Area
  • Weights (loaded and empty)
  • Armament
  • Projected top-speed
And stuff of that sort

Right Here

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

If the figures I found were correct, I got

• Length: 39'4"
  • Span: 50'0"
  • Armament: 4 x 20mm cannon
  • Engine: Napier Sabre
I'm curious if there have ever been figures for wing-area, operational empty weight, and loaded weight.

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2014, 01:22:57 AM
Look up stuff on the Firebrand, it won't be that far out.

Actually it was to have an elliptical wing Kit, it looks more like a P-47 wing, or a Fairey Firefly wing

http://www.unicraft.biz/on/b44/b44-dr.jpg

Kendra/Robyn should be able to work it out from here
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Yes, I saw that, but that was presumably because its role was as an interceptor rather than a torpedo truck like the Frirebrand. The rest of the B.44 was based on the Firebrand, it's mentioned in other places and the fuselage and tail are pure Firebrand.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

While the retractable float is a great idea to reduce drag, it does rather give it the look of a pregnant guppy.   I'm wonder if a better idea might have been a retractable float with an inflatable top?   Make the bottom, planing surface of metal but make the top inflatable so when it's retracted, it collapses and folds down much smaller?

pyro-manic

That's a good idea! It introduces another possible failure, though - if your float bursts, or is punctured by a bullet, or if the compressed air bottle and/or hoses fail, you can't land. And that's on top of the float retraction mechanism.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 12, 2014, 04:57:22 PM
That's a good idea! It introduces another possible failure, though - if your float bursts, or is punctured by a bullet, or if the compressed air bottle and/or hoses fail, you can't land. And that's on top of the float retraction mechanism.

Always a problem with flying boats - you get a hole in the hull and you're stuffed.   The inflatable upper surface could be made self-sealing for the small holes.  Anything it can't fix, a non-inflatable one isn't going to be any help anyway.   The inflatable section could be compartmentalised anyway.   As for the retraction mechanism, thats a problem in any modern aircraft, whether it's wheels or floats.