Dipping canopies in Klear

Started by PR19_Kit, December 10, 2014, 06:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Re. "matting"
Thanks Chris, Kit.
I wonder if it's related to the paint?  The ones that have dulled have Future (Klear etc) over automotive spray paint.
I keep meaning to give them a windex wash and re-do them.
Chris - you don't matt the canopies do you?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
Chris - you don't matt the canopies do you?

Only by accident once or twice  :banghead: Seriously no, sorry if I gave that impression

Quote from: rickshaw on December 12, 2014, 05:40:44 PM
Just ordered two rolls of that.   :thumbsup:

Great it certainly saves trying to cut some ridiculously thin strips
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2014, 06:20:15 PM
I wonder if it's related to the paint?  The ones that have dulled have Future (Klear etc) over automotive spray paint.

That's a possibility, depends on the nature of the paint of course.

In the UK most airliner modellers use Halfords Primer and Halfords top coats as well, Appliance White being the most common of course. As those paints are all acrylics these days, and Klear is acrylic too, there ought not to be any problems, but your auto spray paint maybe something else entirely.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

my son is in the autobody business, he told me that practically all the automotive paint is now water based.  When I was trying to match a colour for an airliner I'm building I went to the local General Paint store and asked for some enamel paint to be matched with my sample. When I got the tin, it said 'water-based' on the tin too.  I was under the impression that acrylic paint is water based and enamel paint was oil based---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

I was under the impression that the Duplicolor et al touch up rattle cans contain cellulose lacquer.  What exactly the definition of "acrylic" is seems to be a bit foggy - I have tins labelled acrylic enamel for example.
However, from experience if you put car paint or car paint clear over the top of enamel then the one on top cracks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 13, 2014, 07:04:45 PM
  What exactly the definition of "acrylic" is seems to be a bit foggy - I have tins labelled acrylic enamel for example.

I must admit that has thrown me as well. I'm still trying to work out where exactly Tamiya paints fit in
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

The other route for painting canopy frames is, of course pre-cut masks. These can be pretty cheap (I just bought some for £2 each) and they work well. I'm no fan of OTT or "handholding" accessories in general, but comparing and contrasting my recent drama with the Skyvan to the painless canopy painting on the Su-15, I'd have to say I'm a convert to these.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones