Dashcams

Started by rickshaw, December 17, 2014, 07:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Quote from: rickshaw on December 19, 2014, 11:22:55 PM
GPS cannot track where you are.  It can tell you where you are.  The system described would encode your position continuously onto the data recorded in the "black box".   You'd have to download it from the "black box" before you could read it.   Most "black box recorders" are just that, recorders.  They don't transmit anything.

I could foresee insurance companies may force you to have more than just a "recorder" though and instead have a transponder but considering the sheer number of cars on the roads, I can't see them being able to record all of their positions simultaneously unless they invest in some very, very heavy metal.

I am aware of that. A legal requirement to record my movements, as mooted by Librarian, is not something I would be willing to submit to.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

rickshaw

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 25, 2014, 02:44:28 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 19, 2014, 11:22:55 PM
GPS cannot track where you are.  It can tell you where you are.  The system described would encode your position continuously onto the data recorded in the "black box".   You'd have to download it from the "black box" before you could read it.   Most "black box recorders" are just that, recorders.  They don't transmit anything.

I could foresee insurance companies may force you to have more than just a "recorder" though and instead have a transponder but considering the sheer number of cars on the roads, I can't see them being able to record all of their positions simultaneously unless they invest in some very, very heavy metal.

I am aware of that. A legal requirement to record my movements, as mooted by Librarian, is not something I would be willing to submit to.

Wouldn't overly worry me.  For myself, it would make extremely boring information.   If I wanted to circumvent it, I'd merely leave the car home and take public transport, changing randomly.  That is if I wanted to play spies.   I'm just glad downunder we don't have the number and extent of CCTV that there seems to be in the UK.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

pyro-manic

Mine would be incredibly dull too, but it's the principle. It's entirely unjustifiable. If somebody is suspected of something illegal, then by all means place them under surveillance by any and all legal means. Otherwise, leave them the hell alone. Saying "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" is entirely the wrong attitude, IMO.

All getting a bit political, that, so I'll stop there. A dashcam for your own use and protection might well be a good investment.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Go4fun

IF I had a dashcam it might be interesting at times just for the idiocy I manage to avoid. A 4 direstion lens would make it really fun at times.
"Just which planet are you from again"?