My library just grew again 2015...

Started by Rheged, December 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

DO NOT OPEN UNTIL NEW YEAR'S DAY

A bright new" My library just grew again..." all ready polished and set up to use in a few days time now!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rheged

I'm not sure if this was a belated Christmas present or a New Year present arrived on time:-

Mapping the First World War      Peter Chasseaud   Collins/ IWM   9780007941971

LOTS of maps (of course) but also a fairly dense text giving a summary of events too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

From my Secret Santa at work, Postcards From the Trenches. http://www.iwmshop.org.uk/product/19743/Postcards_from_the_Trenches

A collection of the cards sent to and from the front lines. Fascinating to look at the images whether posed for propaganda purposes or just casual snaps sent home. Some are friendly shots of kids playing with Tommies, some are grim and show the dark side of war such as the skulls found at Verdun. They've even included the rear of the cards so you can read the messages sent.
I'll bring it to a show to share.

Go4fun

A copy each of W.E.B. Griffin's "Brothers Ar War: The Berets" and "The Generals".
I finally caught WEB with his knickers firmly around his ankles tho. He describes the Grumman Mohawk as a "Push Pull twin Turboprop with engines mounted to the cabin front and rear aircraft with twin booms supporting a triple tail". He has tread on the line between reality and fantasy before but he just went Full Whiff on this one.
Would a Turbo Prop even work in a pusher mode?
"Just which planet are you from again"?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Go4fun on January 02, 2015, 07:40:37 AM
He describes the Grumman Mohawk as a "Push Pull twin Turboprop with engines mounted to the cabin front and rear aircraft with twin booms supporting a triple tail". He has tread on the line between reality and fantasy before but he just went Full Whiff on this one.

Yes, the Piaggio Avanti does just that, and it has two of them, and the Beech Starship did too.

That 'Mohawk' sounds like a turbo-prop Cessna 337 with a 'triple tail', whatever that is......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

my copy of the IPMS mag arrived today,  Rads  SIG of Goth is pictured but were not,  but the paper projects from the Bomber command SIG table are closest to the camera on the shot of there table  :lol:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

We're NEVER mentioned in there, despite how long we've been going....................  :angry:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: Go4fun on January 02, 2015, 07:40:37 AM
A copy each of W.E.B. Griffin's "Brothers Ar War: The Berets" and "The Generals".
I finally caught WEB with his knickers firmly around his ankles tho. He describes the Grumman Mohawk as a "Push Pull twin Turboprop with engines mounted to the cabin front and rear aircraft with twin booms supporting a triple tail". He has tread on the line between reality and fantasy before but he just went Full Whiff on this one.

Sounds like a cross between the Cessna 337 and the Gumman OV-1 Mohawk
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 03, 2015, 09:48:43 AM
We're NEVER mentioned in there, despite how long we've been going....................  :angry:

My thoughts exactly Kit.

I always get my Newsletter after the deadline for anything that is mentioned in that edition has passed  :banghead: You'd think they would work that out ?

Mind you we get loads of mentions on Grumpy Old Modeller  ;D Apparently I'm to blame again  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

just back from a small local wargames show,  3 expansion packs for Munchkin Zombie  :wacko:  much more undead munchkin silliness.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Librarian

Yefim Gordon (et al) "US Aircraft in the Soviet Union and Russia". Very good, £15 from Henry Pordes on the Charing X Road. Worth visiting if you're a Londoner. Has some very good remaindered aviation titles.

PR19_Kit

I bought another one of the Aeroplane Magazine's Company Profiles y'day, the 'De Havilland (Military Types)', issue and wholly wonderful it is too.

While flicking through it one pic jumped out at me, one of the prototype Hornet, RR915, and it quite clearly shows that this aircraft was NOT fitted with opposite rotating engines/props!  :o

The starboard prop is a RH one, just like the port prop. I've searched high and low on the Net and only found one other pic of '915 and it has it's engines running in that pic and it's on the ground at a display so it's impossible to tell which way they are going.

Has anyone else noticed this on that particular airframe?

Regards
Kit

jcf

Two from my Dad's library (the first of many to be sure  :-\ )

Round Shot and Rammers: An Introduction to Muzzle-loading Land Artillery in the United States;
Harold L. Petersen, Bonanza Books, 1969
Heavily illustrated with multi-view drawings of guns and carriages, along with tables listing characteristics.
British, French and Spanish systems are discussed/illustrated because of their use in the New World.
Loads of useful info.

Steam Turbines:A Treatise Covering U.S. Naval Practice, Meyer, US Naval Institute, 1917.
A fairly large quarto text prepared for midshipmen at Annapolis. Covers all the various types of the
period, both propulsive and auxiliary, with detailed explanations, drawings, photos and large fold-out
plates. Condensers, reduction gearing and other stuff also covered.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 07, 2015, 01:13:54 AM
I bought another one of the Aeroplane Magazine's Company Profiles y'day, the 'De Havilland (Military Types)', issue and wholly wonderful it is too.

While flicking through it one pic jumped out at me, one of the prototype Hornet, RR915, and it quite clearly shows that this aircraft was NOT fitted with opposite rotating engines/props!  :o

The starboard prop is a RH one, just like the port prop. I've searched high and low on the Net and only found one other pic of '915 and it has it's engines running in that pic and it's on the ground at a display so it's impossible to tell which way they are going.

Photo in the Putnam that shows the second prototype, RR919, with two RH rotation engines.
No mention in the text, but I'm wondering if there was a production delay on the R-R end so they
were completed without handed engines in order to get on with flight-testing?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 07, 2015, 10:32:43 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 07, 2015, 01:13:54 AM

Photo in the Putnam that shows the second prototype, RR919, with two RH rotation engines.
No mention in the text, but I'm wondering if there was a production delay on the R-R end so they
were completed without handed engines in order to get on with flight-testing?

Yes, that makes sense. It must have taken a while for RR to get it all sorted.

I can't find a single pic of '919 on the Net anywhere.   :banghead:

Regards
Kit