My library just grew again 2015...

Started by Rheged, December 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

For £2 in a Leominster "antiques and collectables" (superior junk) shop. A bundle of three books. Macdonald War Planes of WW1 volume 1 on fighters and volumes 1  (fighters) and 6 (floatplanes) of the WW2  series.  Scanning through the floatplanes volume,  there are some peculiar looking aircraft that look as though they had evolved from the fevered  imaginations of  various contributors to this site!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

I've got all of the Macdonald WWI books and a few of the WWII ones. Had them since I was a kid. Still a useful quick reference.

Today in Waterstone's with the last of my Xmas Book Tokens (plastic card)

Over the Top: Alternate Histories of the First World War

I've a few alternate WWII history books, some good, some c**p, most mediocre but this looked interesting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Over-Top-Alternate-Histories-First/dp/1848327536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422634511&sr=8-1&keywords=Alternate+histories+of+the+First+World+War
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 30, 2015, 08:16:07 AM
I've got all of the Macdonald WWI books and a few of the WWII ones. Had them since I was a kid. Still a useful quick reference.

I've got all of the WWII ones, worth their weight in gold. It's a pity they never did the remaining Bomber ones.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Three books, birthday pressies:

Naval Fighters Number Thity-Five; Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer by Steve Ginter
Gloster Meteor; Britain's Celebrated First Generation Jet, Aerofax by Phil and Tony Butler
Dragon's Wings by Andreas Rupprecht (Deino), this one is especially good, congrats to Deino!

Chris Gibson's Nimrod's Genesis is on it's way too, once it's released.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spey_Phantom

just ordered 2 new books today:

-"Japanese Secret Projects: Volume 2" (Ingolf Mayer)
-"Modelling Luftwaffe Jets and Wonder Weapons" (Brett Green)

also, 4 weeks ago, i ordered a copy of "Soviet Secret Projects: fighters since 1945" (by Tony Buttler & Yefim Gordon) but i got a notice e-mail that the delivery has slipped to February 24th.
i really hope to get this book, would hate to have to cancel that order  :-\
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Go4fun

Got books I & II of "Seals The Warrior Breed" by H. Jay Riker circa 1993.
Sort of a historical fiction with a lot of the early history of the Underwater Demolition Teams from formation and concepts (Which everyone in a high Officer Rank either tried to change or do away with) to some pretty good writing on early operations.
Heck what I checked seemed pretty close to accurate but all it all it was some fun reading.
So much for book I now to check out book II.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Nils on February 05, 2015, 01:25:07 PM
just ordered 2 new books today:

-"Japanese Secret Projects: Volume 2" (Ingolf Mayer)
-"Modelling Luftwaffe Jets and Wonder Weapons" (Brett Green)

arrived this afternoon  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Howard of Effingham

for 50p at a 2nd hand bookstall in Coventry market a few days ago....

'NASSAU - in the Bahamas' [a photo guide]

I am not sure when it was first printed but it must be the late 1950's or early 1960's judging by the fashions and that a union jack flies in the background so is before independence.

however the best and fiercest photo is of the changing of the guard ceremony at Police Barracks that occurred every morning at 1030hrs. the coppers look as tough as Guardsmen but are wearing best dress uniform and armed with lee enfield rifles with fixed bayonets!!!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Picked up two of the Aeroplane Magazine's Classic Aircraft series softbacks today, one on the Canberra and one on the Connie. Both are terrific and the Connie one has given me an idea for a good project, as if I need one!  :banghead:

The Canberra book covers 'all the colours in all the sizes', with a superb set of colour side profiles. The Cranberry was painted in SO many schemes it'd be difficult to chose a scheme they haven't already done in the RW!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Picked up from the Post Office today: "Churchill's Iceman" by Henry Hemming, which I bought from Amazon days ago. It's the biography of eccentric inventor Geoffrey Pyke.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

rickshaw

Quote from: seadude on February 25, 2015, 02:14:40 PM
Picked up from the Post Office today: "Churchill's Iceman" by Henry Hemming, which I bought from Amazon days ago. It's the biography of eccentric inventor Geoffrey Pyke.

So, you'll be able to tell us how he built the real thing, then?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Nick

Had some nice finds at Peterborough show.

Rifleman - Victor Gregg. Gregg saw action at Alamein, was captured at Arnhem, sabotaged enemy production lines, narrowly survived the bombing of Dresden, escaped to the Russians and postwar worked for the Soviet state bank while having dealings with MI5 and MI6.

Helmet for My Pillow - Robert Leckie. He saw combat in WW2 as a US Marine at Guadalcanal and Peleliu, this is his account of that war which led to the HBO series The Pacific. He went on to be an acclaimed military historian.

If I Die In a Combat Zone - Tim O'Brien. He served as a US Army infantryman in Vietnam and this is his story.

Firepower - Chris Dempster. The story of mercenaries in Angola in the late 70's under the command of Colonel Callan.

overscan

Quote from: Mossie on February 03, 2015, 03:03:05 PM
Three books, birthday pressies:

Naval Fighters Number Thity-Five; Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer by Steve Ginter
Gloster Meteor; Britain's Celebrated First Generation Jet, Aerofax by Phil and Tony Butler
Dragon's Wings by Andreas Rupprecht (Deino), this one is especially good, congrats to Deino!

Chris Gibson's Nimrod's Genesis is on it's way too, once it's released.

My (review) copy of Nimrod's Genesis arrived a week ago :)
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Mossie

Unfortunately I'm relying on Amazon. :-\  They still have it as not released, still, I can wait, can't I??? :blink:

Looking forward to your review on SP. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

seadude

Quote from: rickshaw on March 01, 2015, 06:30:23 AM
Quote from: seadude on February 25, 2015, 02:14:40 PM

So, you'll be able to tell us how he built the real thing, then?   :thumbsup:

Habakkuk only existed in his mind. It was just a pipe dream, sadly. Another book I picked up recently from Amazon is "Code Name Habakkuk, A Secret Ship Made of Ice" by L.D. Cross. It's a short book. Only about 144 pages which makes it a fast read you can get through in only a weekend. Most info. about Habakkuk I already know, but there were a few facts and other info. that I did not know that this book greatfully supplied.  :thumbsup:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.