My library just grew again 2015...

Started by Rheged, December 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

armoured farmer by Malcolm Cleverly   ( Malkie)   his experiences in training and the 3rd RTR,  I found out abought it when mrs Penguin and I got a couple of wargames mugs from him at the Derby show several years ago, and finally got round to getting a copy, his artworks good as well  ( link to his website  http://malcyart.co.uk/shop/page/1   )
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Mossie

Scored four, from a friend who was clearing out his library:

Warbird Tech Volume 26: Avro Vulcan by Kev Darling
Aviation Guide No.1: Fairey Battle by Ian Huntley
Military Aircraft of the 1960's by Gerry Manning
Military Aircraft of the 1970's by Gerry Manning

The last two are especially welcome, chock full of photos. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Delivered this morning,

"A Considerable Achievement. The Tactical Development of the 56th (London) Division on the Western Front, 1916-1918 "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Considerable-Achievement-Tactical-Development-1916-1918/dp/1908916478/ref=pd_ys_ir_b_3

Should be an interesting if serious read, a few of my relatives would have taken part in some of the actions discussed
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Since my 101 year old Mum has moved to a care home I'm in the middle of sorting out and selling her old flat. As a result I seem to have inherited of my Dad's old books. One is the story of RAF Transport Command, entitled 'But not in anger' which has a lot of photos of the 'Greenlander' Hastings that crashed on the ice cap back in the 50s. I'll scan some and post then on the thread about it in a day or so.

Another book is one about Hong Kong Aircraft Enginerring Co. Ltd. of which my late Uncle Tony was Chief Engineer in the 50s and 60s. At first sight it looks as if it's an advertisng missive for potential customers, but it's actually a humorous look at the company and some of the pics/captions are screamingly funny if you're of an engineering turn of mind.  ;D

I'll scan some of them in a separate thread too, but as an example there's a pic of a guy loading a radial engine crankcase into a balancing machine...................... (think about it....)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Sounds like possible stories for the Magazine Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Steel Penguin

Arkwright Integral   by Bryan Talbot,  the collected Luther Arkwright Graphic novel,  around an inch and a half thick, 1st story's in B&W seconds in colour.  lovely  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

I'm allowed out again !  ;D

So in celebration from Waterstones "The Fall of the Ottoman's - The Great War in the Middle East 1914-1920"

I tend to buy at Waterstones (or another bookshop) rather then Amazon unless we are talking about a stupid price difference. Personal thing but I'd rather keep my local bookshop going. You can't browse at Amazon !

Also ordered a couple of M.A.A.'s titles while I was in there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Librarian

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 27, 2015, 07:04:47 AM
I tend to buy at Waterstones (or another bookshop) rather then Amazon unless we are talking about a stupid price difference. Personal thing but I'd rather keep my local bookshop going. You can't browse at Amazon !

Agreed :thumbsup:. Just bought there today, "Bloody Red Baron" Newman and "Child44" Smith. Good to be really reading again. Currently rereading "Go-Between" Hartley and "Spring of Kaspar Meier" Fergusson. Some really good books about at the moment. Finished "Cat From Hell" by Truss yesterday....superb for purveyors of fine felines ;D.

Ifor

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of Child44. Just finished it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Ifor on April 27, 2015, 12:46:10 PM
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of Child44. Just finished it.

I just tried, and gave up after maybe 50 pages. Talk about a slow start, and it's SO depressing too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Saw it in Smiths and had to grab it.

Part of the "Haynes Owners Workshop Manual" series

Great War British Tommy Manual: The British Soldier 1914-18 (All Models). It's good

Ifor

Perhaps I shouldn't say, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but I hope the film is better.

Mossie

I'm going on a beach holiday next week. The missus will be happy getting nuked on a sun bed, I'm going to stock up the Kindle to stave off extreme boredom.

Any recommendations?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ifor

I normally go on Amazon set it for the cheapest and pick up books that way. What type do you like?

Mossie

That's a good plan, I've done that before and picked up some good ones.  I've been paying a bit more recently, maybe it's time to go back and see if I can find some crackers for a bargain.

I'm mostly on a sci-fi kick at the mo, although I'll go for pretty much anything if it's a good read.  Maybe not a Mills & Boon though!