My library just grew again 2015...

Started by Rheged, December 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Quote from: zenrat on June 13, 2015, 04:47:58 AM
I bought my father Empire of the Clouds: When Britain;s Aircraft Ruled the Skies by James Hamilton-Paterson for his birthday.
He raced through it while resting up after a hernia op and can't speak highly enough of it.

It is very good. Has anyone read his latest on the air war in WWI ?

NARSES2

1864. The historical work on which the Danish tv series was based
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Fire Bomber Into Hell: A Story of Survival in a Deadly Occupation by Linc W. Alexander

Almost completes my collection of books on Water/Fire Bombers.  I've got two already, this one and one winging it's way from the US of A.  The only reason I'm not buying any more is that I think I've got everything there is out there, at least that's currently available.

The list:
Fire Bombers in Action by Frederick A. Johnsen
Fire Bombers by Philip Wallick
Fire Bomber Into Hell by Linc W. Alexander
Fire Bombers in Action by Barry D. Smith (on order)

If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.  All the books focus on the USA, so if there's any that cover other areas I'd be especially interested.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hman

Quote from: Nick on June 12, 2015, 03:34:51 PM
GCHQ by Richard Aldrich. A wonderful and eye-opening look at how Britain has spied on the rest of the world since the 1930s using signals intelligence, code-breaking, human agents, listening devices and computer hacking. Lots of hidden details that match up to other parts of the MI5 and MI6 story as well as the truth behind Britain keeping 99 square miles of Cyprus...

Did you know about the plans for GCHQ to build a spy ship that would sail the world soaking up messages and satellite signals? This being the 1960s it was of course nuclear powered and the size of an aircraft carrier....  :o

Cyprus...The Lincolnshire Poacher per chance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua94OV9Ter8
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

JayBee

Just got Aeroplane Monthly's "British X-Planes, The jet era".

Covers 24 Experimental/Research aircraft, but there is something strange with it.
The P1127 is not featured but TSR2 is.  :unsure:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on June 19, 2015, 04:42:25 AM

I just got their WWII Flyingboats issue, excellent stuff.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

"Wunderwaffen #3: the damned of the reich"
more Luft'46 goodness, and SS Navy Type XXIII transport sub on the last page, now i know what to do with that 1/144 Wilhelm Bauer i have in the stash  :rolleyes:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Librarian

PR19_Kit

I got the 'Nimrod's Genesis' book at the Coventry Show today, after some persuasion by the Venerable Mike McEvoy. There's some AMAZING stuff in there!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received today from The Book Depository

Japanese Secret Projects 2

Lots of nice stuff in there, now I want the right engines to build a 1/72 Hitachi He-Type bomber

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2015, 04:27:36 PM
I got the 'Nimrod's Genesis' book at the Coventry Show today, after some persuasion by the Venerable Mike McEvoy. There's some AMAZING stuff in there!  :o
Bought a copy on eBay, just waiting for it to arrive.

Rheged

A most superior birthday present; "Cold War"  an English Heritage study of the archaeology of nuclear confrontation 1945 to 1985.  I'd no idea, reading it, that so much Cold War concrete had already been removed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Librarian

Just finished Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End". Seriously good reading for any committed insomniacs out there. Before them I read "Wicked Beyond Belief" by Bilton....absolutely incredible history of the search for and capture of Peter Sutcliffe. Says on the cover "Reads like a thriller...", and it does. Half way through Harris' "Gospel of Loki"....badly written pap but I think I'll try to finish it.

lancer

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 16, 2015, 06:35:52 AM
1864. The historical work on which the Danish tv series was based

It must be good, because I watched the series and that was bloody good.  I felt that those polititians would fit in very well itoday as well..
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on June 19, 2015, 04:42:25 AM

Covers 24 Experimental/Research aircraft, but there is something strange with it.
The P1127 is not featured but TSR2 is.  :unsure:

I just succumbed to that one, although I'm not usually a fan of the mag-book format. Not really surprising that some things were left out: it could easily have been much bigger.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones