My library just grew again 2015...

Started by Rheged, December 27, 2014, 06:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: Mossie on June 16, 2015, 12:30:03 PM
Fire Bomber Into Hell: A Story of Survival in a Deadly Occupation by Linc W. Alexander

Almost completes my collection of books on Water/Fire Bombers.  I've got two already, this one and one winging it's way from the US of A.  The only reason I'm not buying any more is that I think I've got everything there is out there, at least that's currently available.

The list:
Fire Bombers in Action by Frederick A. Johnsen
Fire Bombers by Philip Wallick
Fire Bomber Into Hell by Linc W. Alexander
Fire Bombers in Action by Barry D. Smith (on order)

If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.  All the books focus on the USA, so if there's any that cover other areas I'd be especially interested.

Sorry, I have just seen your post. Checking my book file, I found:
Ernoult Alain   Ailes de feu      ETAI   2006
Garrigues Michel   Au-dessus de l'enfer      Albin Michel   1997
Marsaly F. Pretat S.   Les bombardiers d'eau Canadair      Minimonde76   2012
Michelin R. Coursier S.   Dragons et pelicans      Air photographique   2000
Marsaly Frederic   Les bombardiers d'eau en images      Marines   2007
Jendsch Wolfgang   Brand Bekampfung aus der Luft      Motorbuch   2007
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Mossie

Thank you loupgarou, that's very helpful!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

loupgarou

Quote from: Mossie on July 05, 2015, 02:26:58 AM
Thank you loupgarou, that's very helpful!

You're welcome!  <_<
I am not at home now. If you're interested, tomorrow night, if I am  still alive, I can photograph the covers.
The Garrigues book should be mostly text, the others are photographic. I think that a search on french ebay and amazon will find them easily.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Mossie

Thanks for the offer, I've found most of the titles on amazon.co.uk.  I'm afraid my French and German didn't progress from school level, so any that are mostly  pictorial will be best, although I've found an English translation of the Jendsch book.  It's relatively expensive, around 33 pounds or 46 Euros, would this be book worth the price?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

loupgarou

Quote from: Mossie on July 05, 2015, 01:13:56 PM
Thanks for the offer, I've found most of the titles on amazon.co.uk.  I'm afraid my French and German didn't progress from school level, so any that are mostly  pictorial will be best, although I've found an English translation of the Jendsch book.  It's relatively expensive, around 33 pounds or 46 Euros, would this be book worth the price?

Arrived back home and checked the books. I confirm that Garrigues' book is mostly text, only a few pages of photos.
The Jendsch one is quite big, and thick (about 350 pages), nearly all colour photos and cover many countries, with a lot of different planes and helicopters.
Obviously the USA are well represented, but it contains much more. I liked it.
The german edition is quite cheap on amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/Brandbek%C3%A4mpfung-aus-Luft-Wolfgang-Jendsch/dp/3613027879/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436205467&sr=8-13&keywords=Jendsch

Gondor

Received today from SAM Publications their latest MDF scaled down publication on the Fairey Firefly F.Mk.1 to U.Mk.9.

The book is in the standard format and is almost exactly what you would expect from one of these publications.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Nimrod's Genesis by Chris Gibson arrived this afternoon. Haven't read it yet, but I'm on night's this week!

Mossie

Quote from: loupgarou on July 06, 2015, 10:59:29 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 05, 2015, 01:13:56 PM

Arrived back home and checked the books. I confirm that Garrigues' book is mostly text, only a few pages of photos.
The Jendsch one is quite big, and thick (about 350 pages), nearly all colour photos and cover many countries, with a lot of different planes and helicopters.
Obviously the USA are well represented, but it contains much more. I liked it.
The german edition is quite cheap on amazon.de
http://www.amazon.de/Brandbek%C3%A4mpfung-aus-Luft-Wolfgang-Jendsch/dp/3613027879/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436205467&sr=8-13&keywords=Jendsch

Thanks again.  I found a cheaper source for the English language version of the Jendsch book.  It's coming from the USA so won't get here until early August, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

KiwiZac

Thanks to the release of the movie Jurassic World and the Lego game based on all four movies, I'm in dino-mode. I bought the original Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (25th ann. edition) and finished it this weekend, luckily my copy of The Lost World arrived the following day!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Steel Penguin

the rule book for Frostgrave  and the short story's    from the Northstar  nickstarter
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TallEng

The ultimate F-4 Phantom II collection Vol.4
British Phantoms, the Pantom FG Mk.1 and FGR Mk.2 in Royal Navy and RAF service.
I got it because I have a 'sudden' interest in RN Phantoms :rolleyes:
Makes for interesting reading so far  ;D
It's printed by a German firm Double Ugly books and the ISBN 978-3-935687-84-3
Web site http://www.shopofphantoms.com/rhino/Pulsar/en_US.Shop.displayShop.5284./doubleugly-books-and-publications
Be careful though, you might be tempted to spend money on stuff  :drink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

The Chaos

New at my Stash.

Hoppla wrong thrad.  That can move someone in the correct Thrad thank you.

Mossie

Oooooh, some nice oddities there.  :wub:  What are the two space ships from?

zenrat

If anyone reads crime fiction I recommend Alison Bruce's DC Goodhew novels.  They are set in modern day Cambridge and some of them feature a character named after Mrs z (she used to work for Alison in a job completely unrelated to both crime and writing).  I'm obviously biased but they are rather good densely plotted crime thrillers.
I've read Cambridge Blue and The Siren on my kindle and will be reading the rest just as soon as I get further down the bedside pile of real books and it's time to read another electric book.
Alison's website is here
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

I received last week and am actively reading (very interesting): Engines of war, by Wolmar Christian, about the influence of railways on war logistics and strategy.
And today I received: Double cross by Ben Macintyre, and Danger UXB by James Owen.
All 3 from Amazon sellers, at less than 50 pence each plus postage. ;D