F4U14-1 Corsasym

Started by Tophe, December 27, 2014, 08:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Thanks!

You may wonder what use I will make of such a huge nose... :unsure: Well, military enthusiasts would include in it a 155mm giant gun or something, but I am a naive pacifist, so... I may use it for an observer (as I paint all canopies black without transparent final aspect). And I said this could be a racer, so the second crewman/woman may be a cyclist with legs pedaling to increase the speed of the propeller thus the speed of the aircraft... No?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

I think you should have the cyclebooster crewmember on his/her back. It is hard to get a prone position that does not restrict breathing. If you look at recumbent bike and trike designs, almost all have the rider in a laid back position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhv0jrsAW5w

Tophe

Thanks! With this precious (and crazy?) piece of engineering, we are going to win at Reno! ;D

Tophe

The F4U14-1 Corsasym would be of course second at Reno after the Twin-Corsasym F4U14-2 (with 1 pilot and 3 pedalling crews)... but I will not build it: I got a single F4U model gift and I should honor it as it is somehow. No problem, it was fun drawing the double, at least ;)

Tophe

Putty addition goes on and on...

Tophe

I have not started sanding yet (scheduled for saturday & sunday) but...
Quote from: perttime on January 06, 2015, 09:40:29 AM
I think you should have the cyclebooster crewmember on his/her back. It is hard to get a prone position that does not restrict breathing. If you look at recumbent bike and trike designs, almost all have the rider in a laid back position.
Yes, this is very right perttime: no need of view backward, the "cyclebooster crewmember" on his/her back would need only a window above, and this is more pretty for the airplane. Thanks! The model will be like this:

Captain Canada

That parasol type with the clear noses looks pretty cool !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Thanks Captain!
The first sanding is done (my son liked that at first, but then he found that a little boring...), but this is not good enough and there will be putty/sanding again (and again?)...

Captain Canada

I don't think anybody likes sanding. Funny how often we do it tho ! She's really coming along Tophe. Nice work !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

You have to admire that sanding  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Thanks!
The 2nd sanding is finished, and I have glued the wing and added supports for it, before it breaks...
(my son made the photograph, I made one also but bad, not showing the supports - my son is becoming the expert of the family, as far as models are concerned...)

Tophe

The F4U14-1 prototype is taking shape...

Uh... the engine is not "simply" parallel to the centerline because... asymmetry is not enough to counter the huge torque of this very big engine, so it is mounted oblical (like on a Bloch fighter, I remember)...

DogfighterZen

This is different! i normally prefer symmetry in aircraft but this has its own place... great concept!  :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Modelling_Mushi

Looking good Tophe, looking good
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Tophe

Thanks! :cheers:

Now the first layer of sky blue paint is on. Then there will be second layer, then black (including canopies) and wheels.