Rods from God: Part Deux

Started by KJ_Lesnick, December 28, 2014, 04:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Creak

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 01, 2015, 01:49:12 PMAnother question: How do you compute volume from mass?
If you know the density then it's straightforward.
Density = mass/ volume.
What if... I had a brain?

KJ_Lesnick

The problem is that I have missing variables when I did it.  I was basing it on a projectile of 6.1 x 0.3 meter conical projectiles and the drawings often show 12 of them.  So when I did the mathematical calculations I got a volume and from that a mass which I did two calculations WC (tungsten carbide) or just pure W.  Regardless, the problem is when I was doing calculations for different sizes I multiplied by 12, then divided by say 8 or 6.  I got a number and I found myself unable to determine length and diameter from them.

I think I missed a variable or two
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Unless you know the density of the material you can't.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on January 01, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
The problem is that I have missing variables when I did it.  I was basing it on a projectile of 6.1 x 0.3 meter conical projectiles and the drawings often show 12 of them.  So when I did the mathematical calculations I got a volume and from that a mass which I did two calculations WC (tungsten carbide) or just pure W.  Regardless, the problem is when I was doing calculations for different sizes I multiplied by 12, then divided by say 8 or 6.  I got a number and I found myself unable to determine length and diameter from them.

I think I missed a variable or two

What exactly are you trying to calculate?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

KJ_Lesnick

PR-19

QuoteUnless you know the density of the material you can't.............
Well WC is 15.63 times water if I recall, tungsten is 19.3

Pyro-Manic

Well the basic rod would be 6.1 x 0.3 m in which 12 would be carried; the idea would be larger rods that would weigh the same but instead of being 12 small rods (which are actually quite substantial in weight), you'd have 8, 6, 4, 3, or 1.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

pyro-manic

So the same total weight, but fewer, larger rods? If you have calculated your total mass, you can get the mass of each rod, and therefore the volume. So decide your diameter or your length, and with your given volume you can work out the other dimension.

KJ_Lesnick

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 01, 2015, 07:09:04 PMSo the same total weight, but fewer, larger rods?
Yup...

QuoteIf you have calculated your total mass, you can get the mass of each rod, and therefore the volume. So decide your diameter or your length, and with your given volume you can work out the other dimension.
Understood... I'll put in what I got here.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to have the "rods" be "cones" because it's simpler to do the computation.

Volume of one cone

• V = 1/3(B)*h
  • V = 1/3[(πr2)](h)
  • V = 1/3[(3.1416)(0.3m)2]*(6.1m)
  • V = 1/3[(3.1416)(0.09m2)]*(6.1m)
  • V = 1/3(0.282744 m2)*(6.1m)
  • V = (0.094248m2)(6.1m)
  • V = 0.5749128m3
Volume of 12 cones

• 12*(0.5749129m3)
  • 6.8989536m3

• Eight cones would have a cone that takes up 0.8623692 cubic meters
  • Six cones would take up 1.1498256 cubic meters
  • Four cones would take up 1.7247384 cubic meters
  • Three cones would take up 2.2296512 cubic meters
  • One would take up 6.8989536 cubic meters
The problem is that I can't seem to work out the base when you consider the cone has a fineness ratio of 20 1/3

pyro-manic

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calcone.htm

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-solids/cone.php

If your fineness ratio is (roughly) 20:1, then the length is 20 times the radius.

So V = (1/3)πr^2h

V = (1/3)πr^2(20r)

This gives you one variable, rather than two. You can then re-arrange for r, as you know the volume.

KJ_Lesnick