Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

Quote from: Logan Hartke on December 30, 2014, 01:43:18 PM

Bacon Super T-6

Cheers,

Logan

Got a great name for that :

RASHER - a commercially important fish of the Pacific coast of North America
≡Sebastodes miniatus, vermillion rockfish.

rickshaw

Quote from: Logan Hartke on December 30, 2014, 09:46:05 AM
While I don't know if any actual original FFA P-16 parts were used in it, the original Learjet's wing and landing gear design were basically taken from Swiss attack plane.

I've often wondered how they managed to put hard points on the Learjet wing so easily...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

perttime

The Air Racing world has some interesting mixes of parts. Take the Griffon powered and/or Learjet winged Mustangs (Red Baron, Vendetta, Miss Ashley 2, Precious Metal).

Then there's some (old) airplanes using wrong engines due to availability, like:

(pic from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Gauntlet )

Logan Hartke

Boeing 307B-1 Stratoliner

QuoteFive Trans World 307Bs were pressed into service with the USAAF as military transports; the cabin pressurization was removed to save weight. Following military service, the C-75s were overhauled and updated with B-17G wings and tailplane, four Wright Cyclone GR-1820-G606 engines, and B-29-type electronics.

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke

This is one that I've always liked. This is a BIG spare part to have lying around.

Consolidated B-32 Dominator

QuoteThe second XB-32 continued to have stability problems. In an attempt to resolve this a B-29 style tail was fitted to the aircraft after its 25th flight but this did not resolve the problem and a Consolidated-designed 19.5 ft (5.9 m) vertical tail was added and first flown on the third XB-32, s/n 41-18336 on 3 November 1943. The first production aircraft was fitted with a B-29 vertical tail until a new tail was substituted.

Cheers,

Logan

kerick

I think there is a b-32 kit around somewhere. Some whiff potential there.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: kerick on December 31, 2014, 09:40:12 AM
I think there is a b-32 kit around somewhere.

Xotic-72 did/does it, got one in the stash. It's not too bad as short run injection kits go.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Logan Hartke

On the theme of grafting Boeing bits onto Consolidated bombers, who can forget this example? It surely has to be one of the more extreme examples of aircraft plastic surgery. Very Frankenstein-esque.

QuoteExperimental B-24J-15-CO, 42-73130, with B-17G nose section, containing chin turret, grafted on; modification not adopted for production.

Cheers,

Logan

jcf

Quote from: Logan Hartke on December 31, 2014, 07:53:51 AM

Boeing 307B-1 Stratoliner

QuoteFive Trans World 307Bs were pressed into service with the USAAF as military transports; the cabin pressurization was removed to save weight. Following military service, the C-75s were overhauled and updated with B-17G wings and tailplane, four Wright Cyclone GR-1820-G606 engines, and B-29-type electronics.

Cheers,

Logan

Replacing the original B-17C type wings and nacelles. The B-17G type horizontal tailplanes were also installed three feet further aft
than the original parts. The vertical fin and rudder remained the same as it had been since the second 307, the B-17E and on actually
used the vertical surfaces design of the 307.
:thumbsup:

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 31, 2014, 10:35:16 AM

Xotic-72 did/does it, got one in the stash. It's not too bad as short run injection kits go.

Scalemates doesn't list it as one of their products (their list though is by no ways complete).

If it was available it was only from Aviation Usk which is also out of business. 

rickshaw

I'm surprised that the Avro heavies haven't been mentioned.  Manchester-Lancaster-Lincoln-Tudor-York-Shakleton-Argosy all utilised parts dating back to the Manchester design.

NARSES2

I think there is a b-32 kit around somewhere. Some whiff potential there.

Anigrand in 1/72 (maybe 1/144 as well ?). It's in the stash. The plan is RAF based in India if I ever get round to it
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on December 31, 2014, 06:00:59 PM

Scalemates doesn't list it as one of their products (their list though is by no ways complete).

If it was available it was only from Aviation Usk which is also out of business. 

I think you're right, I found this for a kit number:  AU1017 B-32 Dominator.  I'll have to dig it out because what I've read it says it's a vacuform.  I think the fuselage and wings are because I'm sure there's injection bit in it too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 01, 2015, 06:37:25 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 31, 2014, 06:00:59 PM

I think you're right, I found this for a kit number:  AU1017 B-32 Dominator.  I'll have to dig it out because what I've read it says it's a vacuform.  I think the fuselage and wings are because I'm sure there's injection bit in it too.

Going from descriptions of their other kits, they used mixed media - vacuform for the fuselage wings and injection moulded for the "fiddly bits" such as landing gear, engines, etc.  Which IMO is a much better way of doing it than trying to do those things in vacuform.  Pity they're OOP of though, they had some interesting subjects.