Forward swept wing designs

Started by McColm, December 29, 2014, 12:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Forward swept wings are not new the Germans as long a go as 1936 had designs and were building aircraft The examples are the PWS Z-17, Z-18 and Z-47 (Polish).
Bombers such as the Junkers Ju-287 were built, but the materials needed and the technology was basic.
Modern aircraft such as the Grumman X-29 and Su-47 are based on fighter aircraft.
Composite materials and fly-by-wire systems are available, have there ever been forward swept wing airliners or other transport/bomber aircraft using this method?

If you could use this method in your Whiffs what would you build?
For me the B-29, flying wing and the F-111.

PR19_Kit

The only forward swept 'airliner' that comes immediately to mind is the Hansa HFB-320 Bizjet, operated by the Luftwaffe amongst others. It seems they only built 47 of them though. A clever design at it maximised the cabin room while maintaining a sensible CG and with swept wing performance.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Been on Google and according to them that's the only one, thanks Kit. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That's the only one left now of the 47.

A shame really as it's a neat looking aircraft.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

maxmwill

I think I posted a patent drawing(or a set of drawings) a while back that was for a jet that looked suspiciously similar to an F-16, but had a canard and swept forward wings, and the canard being joined to the wings with a faired strut.

It was a patent drawing, so there never was metal cut for it, but it did look pretty nifty

Here is a link to it:

http://www.google.st/patents/USD268107

Captain Canada

Love the Luftwaffe plane. Very cool looking.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

There are two vacform kits by Airmodel in 1/72 scale. The Hansajet and the ECM 035.
Released in 1977.
Can't find any mention of a plastic kit version ever produced.

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kitnut617

There was a North American design based on the P-51 fuselage which had forward swept wings, had piston/turbojet engine combo and tri-gear too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

maxmwill

I just did a bunch of looking and couldn't find any mention of anything like this

So I'm asking if you have a link?

kitnut617

A drawing design appears in the Squadron/Signal F-86 in Action, No.126.  But you might get a better result in your search if you googled Ed Schmued

Incidentally, someone here posted some pics of someone's model of it only a month or so ago. Do a search here P-51 FS-J

http://www.jimbrooks.org/aviation/img/P-51MustangForwardSweptWingsDrawingBoard1.jpg

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/franacon/media/p-517.jpg.html
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

steelpillow

Several high-performance sailplanes have had forward-swept wings, for much the same reason as the Hansa Jet, to move the main spar carry-through behind the cockpit.

More bizarre were the tailless forward-swept designs of the American George Cornelius. At least two got to fly, the Mallard in 1943 and the XFG-1 quarter-scale fuel transport glider the next year.
Cheers.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: steelpillow on December 30, 2014, 10:36:16 AM
Several high-performance sailplanes have had forward-swept wings, for much the same reason as the Hansa Jet, to move the main spar carry-through behind the cockpit.

I did a lot of my early gliding in a Blanik, and  more recently in a K-13, both of which had swept forward wings, but they're not very much swept. It's handy not to have to crane your neck round so much to see the wing tips are clear before launch though.  ;D

Regards
Kit

perttime

FSW... has there ever been kits for Rockwell Saberbat?