Main Menu

RAAF B-25

Started by Captain Canada, December 31, 2014, 09:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi Guys,
    I had finished this one awhile back. It was a quick build to get my mojo back. Always loved the B-25, especially the round nosed gunships. And of course I was dazzled by the fancy red Airfix box  :thumbsup: Built OOB, only mod was fairing over the upper turret.

The RAAF wanted to fly the flag over their own troops on D-Day. A deal was struck with the USA, whereby veteran Australian pilots were taken from combat and combined with new crews from the BCATP in Canada. New build B-25 straffers were flown across the Atlantic.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tomcat97

Captain Canada

Thank you sir ! I give all the credit to how cool and tough looking the B-25 is   :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Army of One

Oh Cap'n C......what a spanking build.....great stuff...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

So, Monty got his wish then?

Very nice but I suspect it would have flown with "standard" RAAF roundels which look exactly like standard RAF roundels, with a red centre.  The only reason why the red centre was eliminated in the SW Pacific was obviously because of the dangers of some fool pilot looking only at the centre and not seeing the rest of the roundel.    :banghead:

Apart from that, I've always liked the B-25, thinking she's quite a well proportioned and well designed aircraft.   In RL the RAAF flew relatively few B-25s, most being part of an allocation to the RNEIAF, which were flown in a joint squadron.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That must have put the fear of god up a few Tiger drivers in Normandy, maybe even more so than rocket toting Typhoons!

Nice work Cap'n.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Great piece of model making, congratulations :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Quote from: rickshaw on December 31, 2014, 06:28:25 PM
I suspect it would have flown with "standard" RAAF roundels which look exactly like standard RAF roundels, with a red centre. 

True, but then the ANZAC boys on the beach wouldn't know their fellow countrymen were above them.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 04, 2015, 08:10:23 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 31, 2014, 06:28:25 PM
I suspect it would have flown with "standard" RAAF roundels which look exactly like standard RAF roundels, with a red centre. 

True, but then the ANZAC boys on the beach wouldn't know their fellow countrymen were above them.

:thumbsup:

Yup would be good for morale
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I won't saw there weren't any but I, personally, am unaware of any Australian ground forces being used in the D-Day Normandy landings.

However, the blue & white roundel (the standard roundel with the red painted over) should have become the Australian standard during WW2, IMO.

Nice idea, well done. Thanks, Cap! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Yep a good one! 

Perhaps a few photos without the shed backgroud/insulation would be even better  :thumbsup:  Or maybe you have to wait until the spring thaw to venture onto the tundra.... 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Librarian

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 31, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
I give all the credit to how cool and tough looking the B-25 is   :thumbsup:

...and you're model really captures that :thumbsup:, especially with the gear up. I always wondered why the gunships, as far as I know, were absent from Northern europe but then I suppose P-51s with six guns, P-47s with eight etc were probably effective enuf. IIRC the 75mm gun was almost always removed and replaced with two further .50s 'cos the groundcrew got sick of tightening rivets after every mission.