My stash just grew again (2015)

Started by Army of One, December 31, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Arrived yesterday, courtesy of our very own PR19,

an Airfix VC-10.

Now I have something to use my S&M Poffler conversion on.  :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on November 21, 2015, 07:49:56 AM

The twin-boom, roll-on-roll-off type 170.

Does that sentence refer to the Bristol Freighter you bought?

If so you have got your information wrong on several points.

1) A Bristol type 170 only has a fuselage and no booms
2) Airfix did not sell a twin boom transport aircraft
3) Are you sure it's not a Nord 2501 Noratlas?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

From the Southern Model Club show (a very small show but worth it for the swap meet).

All the One True Aircraft Scale.

Airfix Battle of Britain Airfield set (Spitfire 1a, two refuelling trucks, many little men, vac form revetment base, brushes & paints).  Not what i'd usually buy but at the price it was worth it for the kits & brushes and if I paint up the base it can make many appearances with finished builds.
Airfix Mosquito Mk II, something else and XVIII with a few decals used.  Too cheap to refuse and the used decal is one of the red dots for the roundels.
MPC (ex airfix) F2H Banshee and a Hobbycraft F2H-3 Banshee.  That'll be an interesting comparison.  Both were the same price.  According to the interweb the Hobbycraft one is almost identical to the Airfix except the panel lines go in instead of out.
Bilek Mig 21 PFM.  Yes, another Eastern Block Mig 21.  One day i'll build one.  This one has engraved panel lines.  Roll on Cold War GB.  I can build an entire air wing of 21s (OK, I can build four).
A Model Yak 28R (which says P on the end of the box) and an A Model Yak 28PP.  One was more than the other and yet they were from the same seller.  Odd.  The cheaper one has a bigger decal sheet.  Both seem to have a high number of parts made of a strangely dense and heavy plastic.  I haven't opened the bags yet or grokked the instructions.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2015, 06:48:47 PM
A Model Yak 28R (which says P on the end of the box) and an A Model Yak 28PP.  One was more than the other and yet they were from the same seller.  Odd.  The cheaper one has a bigger decal sheet.  Both seem to have a high number of parts made of a strangely dense and heavy plastic.  I haven't opened the bags yet or grokked the instructions.

DON'T open the bag!  :o

You'll never get all the bits back in there again. My Yak 28R kit box bulges in the middle now, and I suspect the kit has grown to around 1/65 scale since I opened the bag....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on November 21, 2015, 10:31:33 AM

Gondor
The twin boom refers to an actual proposal by the Bristol Aircraft Company but not built and is mentioned in two topics on this site.

The Airfix kit is the Bristol Superfreighter based on the Bristol type 170 Freighter. Magna do two resin conversion kits- long nose and short nose with tail, metal/resin wheels, engines, canopies and oil coolers.

I'm building two Whiffs based on this kit;
Amphibious AEW
Autogyro Gunship

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on November 22, 2015, 04:29:07 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 21, 2015, 10:31:33 AM

Gondor
The twin boom refers to an actual proposal by the Bristol Aircraft Company but not built and is mentioned in two topics on this site.

The Airfix kit is the Bristol Superfreighter based on the Bristol type 170 Freighter. Magna do two resin conversion kits- long nose and short nose with tail, metal/resin wheels, engines, canopies and oil coolers.

I'm building two Whiffs based on this kit;
Amphibious AEW
Autogyro Gunship

I was trying to decipher what you meant to say because you had three separate and distinct sentences written. If you had written "Bristol Freighter - to be built as a twin boom variant" then I would have understood.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Sorry, just get carried away with ideas entering my head :banghead:

The Wooksta!

Another AZ Spitfire IX UTI from Uncle Frank.  It looked a little lonely in the shop.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

KiwiZac

Airfix 1/72 TSR.2MS. Because it's cheap!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

The Chaos

From Airfix,
The New Beaufighter TF X
And a Spitfire Mk IXc

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2015, 04:10:07 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2015, 06:48:47 PM
A Model Yak 28R (which says P on the end of the box) and an A Model Yak 28PP.  One was more than the other and yet they were from the same seller.  Odd.  The cheaper one has a bigger decal sheet.  Both seem to have a high number of parts made of a strangely dense and heavy plastic.  I haven't opened the bags yet or grokked the instructions.

DON'T open the bag!  :o

You'll never get all the bits back in there again. My Yak 28R kit box bulges in the middle now, and I suspect the kit has grown to around 1/65 scale since I opened the bag....

Heh he heh.  :lol:
I've been reading up on these kits and most are not complimentary.  Although from the pics they don't look as bad as the A Model Yak 38 which I have taken out of its bag and which is terrible.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

The cyrillic "R" is written with a "P" letter...?

zenrat

Don't know Dizz, but they use an R on the top of the box and a P on the end.

Fred

PR19_Kit

The Broplan vacforms of the Yak25/28 series are more accurate than the A Model offerings to my mind, but are a lot more difficult to build of course.

I'm trying to cross-kit a Broplan 'Mandrake' (U-2 or PR19 equivalent...) with an A Model Yak-28, and although it's possible I've taken 3 years over it so but with nothing much to show for it.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Two Modelcraft 1/72 Sea Vixens - no boxes but with good-condition decals - arrived from the US via eBay today. They were cheaper than a single boxed one from Novo or anyone else! Both will be whiffed, one sooner than the other...

EDIT: Okay, so it turns out it's one Modelcraft kit with two sets of decals and a Russian one (Eastern Express? The instructions are in Cyrillic and I don't recognise the logo) with decals. So I have three lots of Sea Vixen decals!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates