Boeing Enforcer GR.1 in Afghanistan

Started by KiwiZac, January 01, 2015, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
I'm still working on the backstory and will post that later with more photos, but here's the placeholder:

DSCF0633_zps40eb0ee7 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

A Royal Air Force Boeing Enforcer GR.1, as used in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom ca.2003. Airfix's new-tool 1/72 P-51D....with some mods...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

sandiego89

Looking forward to more! Well done.  Lots of WHIF potential with the Enforcer...
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

After which it was handed over to the Afghans. Decal change!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

KiwiZac

A three day Zac special, got my mojo back guys! ;-) I should be able to get the pics off the camera tonight.

In 1984, Piper changed hands when parent company Bangor Punta was acquired by Lear Siegler. Lear Siegler, in turn, was acquired by Forstmann Little in 1986. Forstmann Little then sold Piper to M. Stuart Millar in 1987, although the PA-48 design rights and tooling were sold to McDonnell Douglas as Millar wanted the company to focus exclusively on the civil market.

USAF trials of the PA-48 were successful and on July 3 1988 the service placed an order for 100 airframes as the A-11 Enforcer, with a 3000hp T53-L7C engine. The Royal Air Force also showed interest however no order was forthcoming due to perceived role crossover with the BAe Harrier.

Following Boeing's 1996 acquisition of Rockwell's North American division, McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in August 1997 in a US $13 billion stock swap, with Boeing as the surviving company. Not only did this make the A-11 a Boeing product but it also meant the copyright to the original P-51D and the A-11 were under the same owner. Although they saw only limited service in Kosovo the A-11s were very popular with their crews.

With the retirement of the Harrier fleet looming the RAF once more investigated the Enforcer as an option and in mid-2000 an order was placed for 25 airframes. The intent was to operate the type alongside the existing Harrier fleet with the possibility to order more as the Harriers were retired.

Following the terror attacks on September 11 2001 US and UK forces deployed to Afghanistan under Operation Enduring Freedom, including the RAF's first Enforcer squadron. Both squadrons deployed but when forces withdrew one unit was disbanded and its aircraft handed over to the Afghans.
Zac in NZ

Tophe

Wow, the Mustang is up to date, this is the proof! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: KiwiZac on January 01, 2015, 09:13:44 PM
A three day Zac special, got my mojo back guys! ;-) I should be able to get the pics off the camera tonight.

Sounds good and seems to work! The Enforcer has lot6s of potential, but I never imagined one in RAF colors!  :bow:

Librarian

Always love to see any kind of 'Enforcer' whiff. Really nice model. Post Xmas is always a bad time for mojo-loss so kudos all round :bow:.

NARSES2

That looks good, especially in that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Apologies for the delay! Here are the pics:

DSCF0620_zps5370aa66 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0630_zps38badfdc by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0618_zps84dc5531 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0629_zpsbd5ac694 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0617_zps0d360eae by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0621_zpsf1c954eb by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSCF0615_zps31041cc5 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

The donors:
Empennage - Matchbox Provost and Italeri Corsair
Prop - Academy Typhoon or Tempest
Stores - Academy F-15E and Airfix MRCA
Aerials - Hobby Boss T-6G, Italeri Bell 412 and RB-66E
Seat - RB-66E
Decals - Airfix Lightning and naval Lynx
Tailwheel - Italeri BAe Hawk

Thanks for the kind words already posted :-) It's nice to be back.
Zac in NZ

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

albeback

Looks seriously nice.         :thumbsup:Was there not also a R R Dart engine prototype built as well? That's something I'd like to tackle if I could find suitable bits.

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

KiwiZac

Allan - there was a Dart also, well two: Cavalier (who started the Enforcer) and a private Australian one. There's a 1/72 conversion kit for this latter one by Red Roo Models, that would make a great starting point!
Zac in NZ