Paint included in Heller kit: is it acrylic or enamel?

Started by Hobbes, January 02, 2015, 02:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I've got a Heller kit (of the ISS and ATV) which has some paints included. These are small plastic jars that have Humbrol color numbers. I can't find whether they are acrylic or enamel paints. I've opened one and sniffed it, but my sense of smell is minimal to nonexistent (thanks to a clogged nose and agressive hayfever medication) so that wasn't conclusive.

Gondor

So what were the numbers? Heller did some of their own paint a few years back, 70's I think, so depending on the age of the kit the paint could be theirs.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

I've got gloss white 22 and satin black 85, which match the Humbrol numbers for those colors. Plus a whole pile more, didn't check all of them.

The kit is from 2007, so it's unlikely they are Heller's own recipes.

JayBee

A quick and easy way to check is using an old brush that no longer matters, dip it in the paint then try cleaning it in water.
If it cleans OK, the paint is an Acrylic.
If not it is likely to be an enamel.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

Gloss white 22 and Satin Black 85 are Humbrol colours from their Enamel range. I didn't have to look those up as I recognise them.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Hobbes

Yes, but Humbrol use the same numbers for their Acrylic range  ;D

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on January 03, 2015, 02:16:19 AM
Yes, but Humbrol use the same numbers for their Acrylic range  ;D

The Acrylic range started fairly recently and as far as I know have never been in the metal tins so that would be a good indication as to the type of paint.

Gondor

Dizzyfugu

Second that. Got one or two Heller "First Kits" in my stash, too, and these come with acrylic paints in plastic pots, not enamels. Not certain about the release year, but the paint numbers are the same for enamels and acrylics, so I's also put my bet on the can's material or a water test - must not take a brush, just a bit of paint on a toothpick or the smell of the stuff should indicate what it actually is.

Hobbes