Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I cleared the Jag and the Seafire today ready for transfers.

For the Seafire I have ordered a set of transfers for the "Auster Killer" RAN Furys.
These were a pair of aircraft from 805 Squadron RAN FAA which were called upon to shoot down a runaway Auster on 30th August 1955.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/heritage-sea-fury-anecdotes/

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 23, 2020, 03:17:40 AM

For the Seafire I have ordered a set of transfers for the "Auster Killer" RAN Furys.
These were a pair of aircraft from 805 Squadron RAN FAA which were called upon to shoot down a runaway Auster on 30th August 1955.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/heritage-sea-fury-anecdotes/

What a tale of woe!  :o

They could have 'done a Tempest' on it and hooked their wing tips under the Cessna and tipped it over.

Did they post kill markings under their cockpits afterward? ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2020, 05:37:21 AM
...Did they post kill markings under their cockpits afterward? ;D

Of course.  The transfer set should include them.
The RAAF must have been pissed off they failed to down it and had to call in the navy.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Jag, transferred.

Jag WIP 24-06-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Surprisingly the 36 year old Hasegawa transfers came off the backing and didn't disintegrate.  They needed gentle handling and got a bit sticky when treated with microset but i managed to get the larger stencils in place.  Lowish viz roos are home made.
Fred

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Looking good mate.

Quote from: zenrat on June 24, 2020, 03:13:19 AM

Surprisingly the 36 year old Hasegawa transfers came off the backing and didn't disintegrate. 

Time to make a mug of tea/coffee whilst they decided to separate though ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 24, 2020, 05:20:20 AM
Looking good mate.

Quote from: zenrat on June 24, 2020, 03:13:19 AM

Surprisingly the 36 year old Hasegawa transfers came off the backing and didn't disintegrate. 

Time to make a mug of tea/coffee whilst they decided to separate though ?

They certainly took their time thinking about their departure.
Fred

Old Wombat

Hang on, Fred, you stuffed up the wing decal! It's the correct way around! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 24, 2020, 06:54:44 AM

Yes.  I like to keep people on their toes.
;)

Only six months until xmas.

;D
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 25, 2020, 05:50:50 AM

;)

;D

I know someone who's already wrapped a fair few of their presents.....I kid you not  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2020, 11:39:12 PM
Quote from: zenrat on June 25, 2020, 05:50:50 AM

;)

;D

I know someone who's already wrapped a fair few of their presents.....I kid you not  :-X

So, you've met my wife, then? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I am procrastinating over putting the transfers on the Seafire.  Not because I am in any doubt over the scheme but because there are a number of very tiny stencils.  I need to ramp up some transfers mojo before I put them on.  This will happen during the week when it's so cold one morning that I don't want to sit in my shed (even with the heaters on).
In the meantime I have built (Special Hobby provide you with separate hubs and blades) the prop and primed it with Tamiya pink primer.  And I'll get on with the fiddley bits as well.

Jag got aileron and flap panel lines black washed yesterday before a coat of satin clear today...
...and I have just realised I forgot to wash the rudder panel line.  Bugger.  I'll have to do it tomorrow and be extra carefull as if I make a mistake I won't be able to wash the wash off the satin clear as easilly as I could off of gloss.

I have two 1/25 1960 Chevy Utes under construction.  One much more advanced than the other.  One got the wood floor (already painted) in the tub masked and both got primer today.

I've also started a couple of Zvezda single engine fighters.  MiG 3 and La 5.  Both previously released by Italeri and Revell and both very simple.  I haven't built any PDRV WW2 aircraft so that is what these will be.  A camo scheme needs to be schemed up.  I started the MiG yesterday and then realised today that as I would be making it up as I went it made sense to paint two at the same time.
Both kits suffer from "see through" problems meaning pieces of styrene sheet will be cut to shape to block holes.  The Lavochkin is particularly bad and if build OOB it would be possible to look through the engine and see out of the cockpit.
Both are moulded from very soft dark green styrene.

The Victor for the Prototype GB is sitting on the table next to my bench.  It's tempting to start cutting parts off of the sprue but I am resisting (part of the reason why I started the MiG and Lavochkin).  It's the Revell re-pop of the Matchbox kit so it's in one of their stupid end opening boxes.  I have taped the ends closed and cut three sides of the top so it now opens properly.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 27, 2020, 03:17:02 AM

;D

[/quote]

It's my sister in law. Tends to buy most of her presents during the January sales which is actually quite sensible when you have an awful lot to buy especially for small kids.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 27, 2020, 06:02:18 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 27, 2020, 03:17:02 AM

;D

It's my sister in law. Tends to buy most of her presents during the January sales which is actually quite sensible when you have an awful lot to buy especially for small kids.
[/quote]

That's exactly what my wife does!............except it's  grandaughter,godchildren, nephews , nieces and (if you are a Gilbert and Sullivan fan)  also the sisters and the cousins and the aunts......     We don't buy each other big presents any more, but I do get an unexpected SOMETHING from the Hereford Model Centre every Christmas; last year it was a 1/72 Gokstad Viking Ship.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 27, 2020, 04:48:31 AM

I have taped the ends closed and cut three sides of the top so it now opens properly.

What a great idea! Well done Fred.   :thumbsup:

I think I'll adopt that with my next Revell build.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit