Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Fred, have you tried the Molotow Liquid Chrome markers for chrome bits on cars?
I've had excellent results, they come in nib sizes of 1, 1.5, 2, 4 and 5mm.
They sell a 30ml refill, the markers are refillable, and the 'paint' can be used
in an airbrush without thinning.

https://www.molotow.com/en/applications/marker-applications/liquid-chrome/

PR19_Kit

I concur with Jon there. I bought my first Molotow Chrome pen a week or so ago, and it's AMAZING.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I wish I had those back when I did I trucks and cars to touch up chrome parts.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

I'm a ' certified ' proponent of the Molotow chrome pens. There is a slight learning curve but... damn...... talk about handy. I first used them (I bought a variety pack with varying sizes) on my DC-9 for de-icers and exhaust parts.

This picture was taken outside yet under cloudy conditions and the reflection off the exhaust is glorious! I love the Molotow pens. My only problem is I forget to use them sometimes.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The exhausts on your Nine look GLORIOUS there Brad.  :thumbsup:

Which airline is that, Hughes Air West perhaps?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I don't have the Molotow markers.  I'll have to try them.
How do they stand up to 1) handling and 2) time?

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 13, 2020, 07:59:00 AM
I love how the Mi-4 looks!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm guessing that tone is due to the black primer undercoat, right?
Yes.  The trick with Alclad is thin coats.  Put it on too heavily and it looks like silver paint.  Different colour base coats will result in slightly different shades.  Alclad chrome only really "works" with a gloss black base coat.

Mi-4 clear coated this morning.  I bought some Alclad aqua clear when I bought the metalisers and it works very well, not affecting the metal look like normal solvent based clear would.  I have a suspicion it, like the gauzy stuff they sell for dipping clear parts, is actually acrylic self levelling high gloss floor polish.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 14, 2020, 02:39:09 AM
The exhausts on your Nine look GLORIOUS there Brad.  :thumbsup:

Which airline is that, Hughes Air West perhaps?
DHL Cargo Bird. FLY kit.... easiest building airliner I've done so far.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Well thanks!  It was a most pleasurable build. Unlike pesky (but still love 'em) Airfix... one of which just entered year three... this thing flew together so fast it's almost like it didn't happen. I have a couple other Fly DC-9s in the stash, too... going to make some shorter and longer ones.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

You need experience to do the Airfix Nine, and I've built maybe a dozen of 'em in my time.  ;D

Here's a few............  ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

The little one at the front is my favourite.

Forced to go to work early I didn't get much done in the shed today other than some work on the secret not yet to be revealed project.  It's entering the home straight with just the fiddly bits to do - UC doors, legs, wheels, canopy etc.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TheChronicOne

I generally HATE surprises but I can't wait to see what it is.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

;D

I took delivery of a Molotow chrome pen today.  Not tried it yet.  Any tips?

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 17, 2020, 01:45:56 AM

I took delivery of a Molotow chrome pen today.  Not tried it yet.  Any tips?

You need to pump the body of the pen up and down a few times before the paint appears on the white nylon tip. Otherwise you may think it's empty, or not working.

The results are MOST impressive though.

Regards
Kit