Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Like I said, I'll test it first..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Light coats.  As the instructions on the jar say.
Not a heavy coat because I got impatient.  The worst crazing was in the areas where paint "pooled" such as the front edge of the bonnet and at the back where the raised central rib met the back of bonnet flip up.  Less around the corner in front of the rear wheel arches which is also a recess formed by wheel arch lip and bottom of body trim where pooling occurred.

The way paint solvents can "get down and funky" through all the preceding layers of paint amazes me.  I've previously had issues with a Tamiya mica red plastic body (Landcruiser 80 series) which I gave a gold paint job to.  It looked very schmick until I cleared it when due to impatience I applied too heavy a coat of clear and red bloomed through from beneath.  Which would have been fine if it have been even over the whole body as it looked quite good; but it wasn't, it was patchy due to filler and the bonnet being moulded in clear.

However, on the other hand problems with the S&H Torino could be because it is red.  I have never had good luck with red paint on model cars.  It may be cursed for me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Got sidetracked today into cleaning, and mods/maint on furniture.  So no chance to sit down in the shed today.
I did however bring the Breguet into the kitchen and put on the transfers.
Breguet 693 WIP 07-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Looking very nice, there, Fred! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks mate.
Back story will be an aircraft used by the Luftwaffe in North Africa after the fall of France which was then put back into French service in Algeria post '45.
Fred

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on November 07, 2020, 03:48:40 AM
Thanks mate.
Back story will be an aircraft used by the Luftwaffe in North Africa after the fall of France which was then put back into French service in Algeria post '45.

Would have been the perfect pingpong aircraft for the group build
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Woulda, coulda, started too early.

Oh well.

Looking at the photo above I notice the roundel on the port wing is further back than that on the starboard.  Bugger.  Can't do anything about it now though as it's holding tight (I've just tried to slide a paint brush under it - started to work but then started to tear so I desisted) and I have no matching spares.

Oh well.

Fred

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on November 07, 2020, 03:57:12 AM
Woulda, coulda, started too early.

Oh well.

Looking at the photo above I notice the roundel on the port wing is further back than that on the starboard.  Bugger.  Can't do anything about it now though as it's holding tight (I've just tried to slide a paint brush under it - started to work but then started to tear so I desisted) and I have no matching spares.

Oh well.

Call it a rush repaint job that got ignored after the war.  Because, as we all know, the backstory can always be adjusted to fit the model.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 07, 2020, 03:57:12 AM

Looking at the photo above I notice the roundel on the port wing is further back than that on the starboard. 

If it's good enough for Poland.................... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 07, 2020, 12:43:33 AM

I did however bring the Breguet into the kitchen and put on the transfers.

Yet another member of the "put the transfers on in the kitchen club"  ;) :thumbsup:

Breguet's looking good. Indeed it got me looking at the French twins I have in the stash.

I'd never heard of Zero paints before the December issue of Airfix Mag landed on my doorstep. There's an amazing build of the new Revell E-Type Jag' which looks wonderful in their Opalescent Blue. And now their paints are getting a mention here. There's a law about multiple occurrences of a subject once it's been initially brought up somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Zero Paints are the 'paints of choice' for the 1/24 and 1/32 model car field, if you can afford them as they're not cheap.

AFAIK only one supplier sells them in the UK, that's Hiroboy in Gloucester near me, but you can't visit them, even without a lockdown. :( It's mail order only.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I like Zero paints so much I used to order from Hiroboy in the UK.
Until they stopped shipping by air due to safety regulations regarding flammable substances.
I then ordered from Spot Model in Spain as they were willing to turn a blind eye.
However I can now order from BNA Model World here in Aus although the range can be a bit limited if you are not quick.
Scale Modellers Supply make paint here which they tell me is identical to Zero Paint but comes in bottles half the size.
Zero Paint is worth it if you want an exact match for a RW build.  I however was mostly buying their candies for custom paint jobs and their Two Pack Clear.
I've stopped using the Two Pack because of the associated health risks and now am mostly switching to SMS whose range is expanding.

Fred

zenrat

I've repainted the Torino Tomato.  Here's a crisp pic of some stuff on my shed table with a blurred red car body in the foreground.
74 Torino WIP 11-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
It's not perfect, there is still some minor crazing despite me exhibiting more patience.  Maybe the after effect of the previous crazing in the same place? or Revell's plastic and Zero's paint are not totally compatible?
It'll do though, i'm not stripping it again.  The cars used in the filming of Starsky & Hutch were not pristine because they were constantly jumping on them, sliding across the bonnet, walking on them and running into things (seriously - some of the driving is abysmal, watch a few episodes and cringe as they hit kerbs, parked cars, bad guys...).  I will be very carefull with the clear coat though.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Indeed, the market in undented Torino bonnets (hoods....) is immense.  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

In between things I've been gradually working on the interior of the Tank Engined Hot Rod - building up the transmission tunnel.  I could have just transplanted in one from another kit but I wanted something close fitting and bespoke.
Tank Rod WIP 12-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred