Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on June 21, 2021, 02:10:06 AM
The Dragone Rapide looks nice.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on June 18, 2021, 05:03:22 AM
Its intricate but goes together well.  It has fine detail but avoids the too detailed parts breakdown manufacturers such as Takom employ to drive us insane.  Accuracy is however questionable.  They have gone to great lengths to give you spark plugs to glue to the cylinder head...
...but only two (its a four cylinder engine) and of those only one is where it should be.  The engine also, while having distributor, coil, fan belt etc has no inlet manifold what so ever.
The brakes were rod operated drums which are reproduced faithfully with all the delicate rods and linkages for the front wheels plus those for the rear right up to a point in front of the rear wheels where they just stop.
It's like they researched detail from photographs without input from someone like a mechanic or engineer or restorer (or modeller) who would have said "hang on, where's the..."

That sounds hauntingly familiar, having got part way through a Trumpter RF-8 aerosan. It too has no carburettor, but that's okay, because the exhaust pipe plugs nicely into the inlet manifold... :banghead: Now I KNOW they did that from a drawing because there are none of these things left, and I've seen the same drawing where the one passes behind the other. That's not really an excuse though, because five minutes of research reveals that the engine in question is basically a Ford Model A and there a gazillion detail pics of those on the net...

Plus, the basic principles of the internal combustion engine are widely available in a number of reference books and those would tell them you need a way to get air and fuel in and a way to get exhaust out.
I think Hobby Boss used photos because the engine block is too wide.  This engine was IIUC also basically a Ford model A.

I'm happy to build this as it comes.  If it was a car model i'd be compelled to correct it and add the missing detail.  I will pose the two side engine hatches open but you won't be able to see much in there.  I was going to cut and open the top bonnet part.   Not anymore.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

Thanks Moritz.

Some progress on an Eduard 1/72 Fokker D VII.
Fokker D VII WIP 22-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
First time i've built a 1/72 aircraft with transfers (lozenge pattern) on the inside of the fuselage.  So far its all gone together nicely.  Even the PE.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

The Eduard D VII's a nice kit in all its many boxings. Plus it doesn't have that much rigging
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Hah! First thing I saw was an Olde Worlde racing boat, then I saw the word "Fokker" & my mental image flipped, & I saw the plane fuselage ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

63cpe

Woooow Zenrat, that Dehavilland turned out really a stunner! what a beauty! congrats with the completion!

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 22, 2021, 07:41:41 AM

Hah! First thing I saw was an Olde Worlde racing boat, then I saw the word "Fokker" & my mental image flipped, & I saw the plane fuselage ;D ;D

Right on! I did exactly the same, even going so far as to think 'The seat's the wrong way round!'  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2021, 04:21:33 AM
Thanks Moritz.

Some progress on an Eduard 1/72 Fokker D VII.
Fokker D VII WIP 22-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
First time i've built a 1/72 aircraft with transfers (lozenge pattern) on the inside of the fuselage.  So far its all gone together nicely.  Even the PE.

Put some spatted wheels on the sides and you'd have a wonderful 1920s boat-tail Brooklands racer!

zenrat

Quote from: 63cpe on June 22, 2021, 07:52:34 AM
Woooow Zenrat, that Dehavilland turned out really a stunner! what a beauty! congrats with the completion!

David aka 63cpe

Thanks Dave.  Heller did a good job with this kit.

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 22, 2021, 07:41:41 AM

B'stard, you've got me seeing it as a toothpick boat now.
I didn't get much bench time in today (I was making Lemon Lime Marmalade) but I did start cleaning up the seams on the fuselage.  A very easy job as there is almost no detail to worry about.
I need to come up with a colour scheme.  The wings will get lozenge pattern transfers but I need something for the fuselage.  Something including pink and green I think.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 23, 2021, 05:00:15 AM

I didn't get much bench time in today (I was making Lemon Lime Marmalade) but I did start cleaning up the seams on the fuselage.  A very easy job as there is almost no detail to worry about.
I need to come up with a colour scheme.  The wings will get lozenge pattern transfers but I need something for the fuselage.  Something including pink and green I think.

How about pink and green diagonal bands ? Or if you're feeling way more ambitious than me, checked ? Natural metal or light grey forward (engine area)  of the fuselage and then then banded/checked rear ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Tartan!!    I think the odd tin of Humbrol 998  "Royal Stewart" or 996 "McLean of Duart and Morvern (hunting tartan)" can still be found in some suppliers store rooms.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Humbrol 999, 'The Black Watch', can still be found sometimes, but it's well OOP now. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on June 23, 2021, 09:42:25 AM
Tartan!!    I think the odd tin of Humbrol 998  "Royal Stewart" or 996 "McLean of Duart and Morvern (hunting tartan)" can still be found in some suppliers store rooms.

;D ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Hmmm, I was only last night looking at my shirt in the mirror while cleaning my teeth and thinking about the horror of masking for a plaid paint job...

Checked i can do.
Kitty Zero 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

NARSES2