Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Thanks Jon.

There is no such thing as coincidence (Robert Anton Wilson).  Today I got an e-mail from Metro Hobbies containing these on their future release list..

No prices yet.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've seen a couple of reviews of those in UK magazines. Some, most, of the gondola detail is tiny and very fiddly to attach.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

If using for a Sky Pirate build I would be using only the gasbag and scaleoramaing into 1/72.
I suspect price will render that option untenable.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

The Mark1 models 1/720 scale ones are between £20/£30. Can't find a price on the Takom ones
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

At 1/350th that's a BIG model!  :o

The gondola's a dead ringer for that on the R33/34 too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2021, 04:38:40 AM

There is no such thing as coincidence (Robert Anton Wilson). 

*Check the bottom of your emails to see if there's any tiny, white footnote writing... yes, I know that's a bit weird, but I have heard of it being suggested as a prank (malicious or otherwise) to get someone scratching their head over the emails and search suggestions they will get...  ;)

jcf

Ralph Currell's free download paper models of airships are very nice.

https://currell.net/models/mod_free.htm?filter=airship#filter_tabs

Here's the R100 model printed at 1/200 and built using painted cardboard.

The 1/400th LZ-127 model enlarged and printed at 1/144th scale.

zenrat

Thanks Jon.

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 09, 2021, 05:18:54 PM
Quote from: zenrat on July 09, 2021, 04:38:40 AM

There is no such thing as coincidence (Robert Anton Wilson). 

*Check the bottom of your emails to see if there's any tiny, white footnote writing... yes, I know that's a bit weird, but I have heard of it being suggested as a prank (malicious or otherwise) to get someone scratching their head over the emails and search suggestions they will get...  ;)

I know THEY listen in via my phone.  I unlocked it the other day and it opened up with a web browser displaying the results of a search for "f**k off Charlie".  Something I have never typed in but which I do say to my dog on occasion.

Got some modelling done today.  Other than GB stuff I started the next stage of Sea Witch rigging - the bowsprit lines.
Also, I painted a Hasegawa Bearcat I started a while back.  It's an experiment to see what difference not priming a model makes.  I am coming to the conclusion that it means more coats of paint - especially if it is moulded in dark blue and you are painting it in RAN FAA colours (I realised I have a lot of Sea Fury sticker sets).
Fokker DVII fuselage and lower wings are resplendent in Pink primer.  Next stage is to mask for the chequers.
Fred

NARSES2

I very seldom prime, unless the plastic is one of darker colours sometimes used in old kits or I've used a lot of filler, but then as I brush paint it doesn't make much difference to the number of coats needed. I still need 2 to 3 coats dependent on colour (usually 3 with modern acrylics)

zenrat

The Sky on the Bearcat, brushed on over US Sea Blue plastic, has required 3 coats of Vallejo acrylic.  It's still slightly patchy but that just looks like the currently fashionable deliberate preshading.
When brushing on over light grey primer it usually requires two coats.
The advantage of not priming is I didn't need to mask the engine or pilot/cockpit.
Fred

zenrat

RAN FAA Bearcat in progress.

Bearcat WIP 15-07-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Rather than EDSG (or DSG or whatever it "should" be) I have used Russian Tank Crew I for the upper colour.  Just 'cause...
I am beginning to suspect that this kit is hexed.  Yesterday I snapped the engine mountings (it attaches to two posts on the LH fuselage half - nothing on the Right) which was a complete pain to fix as it wouldn't fit out through the front of the cowling.  And then today I snapped a prop blade sanding off ejector pin marks.
Fred

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on July 11, 2021, 03:58:54 AM

I know THEY listen in via my phone.  I unlocked it the other day and it opened up with a web browser displaying the results of a search for "f**k off Charlie".  Something I have never typed in but which I do say to my dog on occasion.

Or the speakers you can get to listen to or order up from by voice activation... they definitely listen in and record even background conversations.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2021, 04:09:52 AM

Rather than EDSG (or DSG or whatever it "should" be) I have used Russian Tank Crew I for the upper colour.  Just 'cause...
I am beginning to suspect that this kit is hexed.  Yesterday I snapped the engine mountings (it attaches to two posts on the LH fuselage half - nothing on the Right) which was a complete pain to fix as it wouldn't fit out through the front of the cowling.  And then today I snapped a prop blade sanding off ejector pin marks.

Bearcat's looking good. Mind you if it's truly hexed those cannon barrels haven't got a chance  :angel: Fingers crossed

zenrat

I might replace them anyway.  The moulds are slightly misaligned.  Not enough to show up elsewhere but noticeable on the guns.
Fred

jcf

Here's another free paper model Zeppelin, 'P' Class L 13 (LZ-45), in 1/144th.
This design has you build up a skeleton using frames and then skin it.

http://landships.info/landships/models.html#

The model is by Thorsten Brand and you have to select it from the menu on the left,
Landships won't let you link directly.
:banghead: