Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

I certainly hope so.

Underside is painted.  I forgot to put white on the nose when I did the tail so i'm having to brush some on to act as an undercoat for the sky blue.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Nose masked and spray painted properly with Tamiya fine white primer.
First coat of olive drab on the upper sides.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Tempest II WIP 09-10-22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Vallejo's Olive Drab is a bit greener than I would like but it'll do.  Especially as the US Grey I used on the underside is IMO a bit darker then the Neutral Grey I should have used but didn't have.
And anyway, I also don't have Foliage Green and will be using Gunship Green.
Nose and spinner will be Sky Blue.
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Looking far, far neater than mine mate, well done  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Don't look too closely!
The seams on the upper and lower halves of the root intakes are dodgy but that is hidden by the paint demarkation luckilly.

I painted the Foliage green parts today. Apart from the bit which can be seen in the pic on the previous page (between the white tail and the olive drab) there are blobs on the leading and trailing edges of the upper surfaces of both wings.
Fred

Dr. Griffin

It's funny how we, the artisans, who create these things at close quarters knows ever minutest imperfections. While everybody else, who are not perfectionists, not only does not see the imperfections, but does not even look for them.

I no longer create for the perfectionists. My father was one, and he never was satisfied with my ever so careful efforts. Perfectionists will remain unsatisfied. I know because I became one myself after many years of trying to satisfy my father. I learnt we can only satisfy myself, and my perfectionist self could not be. So I had to learn a new motto, which irked me at first, but now frees me up. It is: 'Good enough is good enough'.

To be honest, Zenrat, from what I've seen, you are a very fine artisan who makes wonderful models. In my mind I will always see fine work regardless of what you do with the models.

Old Wombat

One of the big pluses about hanging out here, Griff, is that pretty-much everybody is a follower of the "I build to satisfy only me" school of philosophy & the rest of us are happy to accept that personal standard when we view a build. ;D

zenrat

I am rarely completely satisfied with my own work Griff.  But that's what keeps me going.

No modelling today.  I did pay a visit to the LHS to get some sheet styrene for one of my planned Logistics GB entries.  I was hoping to get some pre scribed with planks of about the right width but had to settle for plain.  I'll scribe the planks.
After that I lined part of the brickwork in my garage with leftover 4mm ply.  This was at Mrs z's request as she has asked for shelving for the outdoor setting's cushions in that nook and feels that the bricks would get them dirty (who am I to argue).  This enabled me to use my hammer drill which is known as "The Brick F**ker" by everyone who has used it.  This time I only shattered one brick out of the fourteen I drilled into.  This is pretty good going.  It's an Ozito drill which was made in China at the time when Chinese stuff was cheap not because it was crap but because it was old fashioned.  It's got a cast metal casing, can drill, hammer drill, or just hammer, weights about five kg, and is of an age when stuff could be fixed if it broke.  It's my second favourite power tool after the Biscuit Jointer.
Fred

Dr. Griffin

zenrat

Best laid plans etc.
Today I thought I could walk the dog, fry breakfast, get my hair cut by Mrs z, paint the ply I put up yesterday and then spend the rest of the day in the shed modelling.
I didn't count on a sister-in-law dropping in and requiring me to pretend to be interested in her blatherings.  By the time she left I barely had two hours to myself.
I did however get the Tempest ready for the clear which will precede the transfers.

I also made more progress on the Airfix Mitchell.  I've got the wings and tails on and it appears that despite filling both the nose gear bay and the bomb aimers crawlway with heavy glue it will still tail sit.  Typical of a B-25.  I think it will need weight behind the engines.  Apart from that it's going together well.  Nice kit.
Fred

NARSES2

The B-25 is a nice kit, thinking of getting another one for a real world RAF build

Old Wombat

It is a very good kit! :thumbsup:

But I wonder if it'd be worth making moulds of the cockpit & engine bits, & casting them in lead or white metal? :unsure: