Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I have to say the folks at my club are very accepting of my addiction. A couple say something like "What did you do now?!" But then follow up with "That's cool!" Some say things commenting on my imagination and how they could never blend parts together like that. Many make things unbelievably detailed and I envy that. So it all works out.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on December 30, 2023, 09:52:27 AMI have to say the folks at my club are very accepting of my addiction. A couple say something like "What did you do now?!" But then follow up with "That's cool!" Some say things commenting on my imagination and how they could never blend parts together like that. Many make things unbelievably detailed and I envy that. So it all works out.

When I was attending the local club, that was usually the reaction, at least later in the piece.
Of course, it helped that there was a prolific Sci-Fi/Warhamster modeller there so it became, if not mainstream, then more accepted.
Or maybe I just battered them into acceptance with sheer bl00dy-mindedness... who can say? ;D

And I understand your thoughts on the ultra-detailed stuff; beyond my skill or interest level, but impressive nonetheless.

NARSES2

I must admit that being behind the SIG stand at Scale Model World my perception is that "our side" of this great hobby of ours is becoming more accepted by the mainstream  :thumbsup:  Tomorrow the World  :wacko:

One of my favourite memories of this hobby is when me and Martin and a couple of others went to the Czech show in Prague. When we introduced ourselves at the Czech Wif Group's stand they were overjoyed. They thought they were the only ones and had put up with so much flak.  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

PR19_Kit

The 'acceptability' of our ideas were much more noticeable at Telford this year than previously, but I can't imagine why. There was much less of the almost open 'hostility' that we used to get.

Question :- 'But why would you want to put longer wings on a Meteor? They got on OK with the one they really had?'

Answer :- 'Because I wanted to.....................'  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I think it's the difference between writing a carefully and meticulously researched biography and a free flowing piece of fiction.
Most model builders are going for a miniature replica and we tend towards something that is art. Some don't see the difference. More and more seem to see the two sides of the coin. All for the better I say!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

I wonder also if some of it stems from the rarity of a kit, or just the sheer cost of it, and instead of building it 'as it should/was supposed to be', "You had to go and do that to it! I've always wanted one of those, and now you've spoiled it somehow for me."

Which I have sometimes been a bit guilty of myself, though thankfully (hopefully?) not too often...

PR19_Kit

The answer to them is 'It's MY kit......................'
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 31, 2023, 02:35:49 PMThe answer to them is 'It's MY kit......................'

Which is completely correct, and should shut down the (audible) whining and gnashing of teeth. 'Should.'

kerick

Tell them to dig deep into their stash, they probably already have one.
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 31, 2023, 01:42:17 PMI wonder also if some of it stems from the rarity of a kit, or just the sheer cost of it, and instead of building it 'as it should/was supposed to be', "You had to go and do that to it! I've always wanted one of those, and now you've spoiled it somehow for me."

Which I have sometimes been a bit guilty of myself, though thankfully (hopefully?) not too often...

Thats why I built my near mint in box Johan Chrysler Turbine Car.  Because I knew some people would have fits if they knew i'd done that to a "collectible".
Of course, if i'd whiffed it it would have been even better.

When I got hold of my sealed early issue MPC General Lee I took great delight in immediately ripping the shrink wrap off so I could get into it and confirm the transfers a) had the confederate flag and b) looked viable.  It was yes to both which was good.
I now have five 68-69 Dodge Chargers in the stash (Three Revell, Two MPC) from which to build my definitive General Lee.  I really should make the effort to start on it this year.

WOT8 build of the truck is almost complete.  It'll need the load  building and weathering though, and a civilian figure putting together.

Panzer 4 is ready for paint when I get my A in G.  I think i've said before it'll be Auscam but with the proportions of each colour changed around.  I'm going to use SMS acrylic through my airbrush.  Something i've not tried before.  i've tried brushing it on and it is very thin and takes a lot of coats to get coverage.  It does get there in the end though.

And obviously once the two current 1/35 builds are done i'll start getting the itch to begin something else in that scale...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2024, 04:00:43 AMWhen I got hold of my sealed early issue MPC General Lee I took great delight in immediately ripping the shrink wrap off so I could get into it and confirm the transfers a) had the confederate flag and b) looked viable.  It was yes to both which was good.
I now have five 68-69 Dodge Chargers in the stash (Three Revell, Two MPC) from which to build my definitive General Lee.  I really should make the effort to start on it this year.

Yeeehhaaaa!!

kerick

Quote from: Nick on January 12, 2024, 08:29:44 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2024, 04:00:43 AMWhen I got hold of my sealed early issue MPC General Lee I took great delight in immediately ripping the shrink wrap off so I could get into it and confirm the transfers a) had the confederate flag and b) looked viable.  It was yes to both which was good.

Yeeehhaaaa!!

The story goes that they wrecked like 70 or 80 Chargers making that show so you have quite a way to go yet.
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2024, 04:00:43 AMI now have five 68-69 Dodge Chargers in the stash (Three Revell, Two MPC) from which to build my definitive General Lee.  I really should make the effort to start on it this year.

Will it be smashed up? :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

You want smashed up? Do one as the Charger from the end of 'Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry'.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2588519961/?playlistId=tt0071424&ref_=vp_rv_ap_0

Just a thought. <_<