Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Now that's real customer support!
Glad to see it still happens now and then.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Turbine car is slowly coming together.  Slowly because I am forcing myself to be patient and not rush it and so screw something up.
All parts are now painted so it's really just prolonged final assembly.
Today I glued on the exhausts and broke one of the rear springs trying to gently straighten a slight bend.  60 year old styrene is a bit brittle.
It was a nice clean break so i've welded the ends together with Tamiya extra thin.  Should hold.

I'm still working on the interior of the Do.17.  These new Airfix moulds are detailed and fit very well but they are not exactly shake and bake throw it together quick build fodder.
Fuselage halves are together but I still have to fit the (Yahu) instrument panel and the crew (who I am still painting).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2023, 03:21:34 AMI'm still working on the interior of the Do.17.  These new Airfix moulds are detailed and fit very well but they are not exactly shake and bake throw it together quick build fodder.

I find they lend themselves very well to being assembled as a series of sub-assemblies and that can cut some of the down time down.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Got her up on her wheels today.

Chrysler Turbine Car WIP 12-05-2023 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Turbine Car WIP 12-05-2023 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And as discussed elsewhere I looked into the possibility of a Sabre Lightning.  It looks feasible.  The KP Tempest cowling is more or less the same width as the Hasegawa Lightning boom.  Not sure about depth without cutting plastic.  The weirdly engineered Hasegawa P-38 doesn't make it easy to mock up but here is an attempt.

Sabre Lightning mockup. by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Turbine cars looking good  :thumbsup:

Interested to see if the Sabres fit the P.38. I've 3 of the things looking for homes as well  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Turbine car very nearly done.
At this point the doors open, the boot opens, the front wheels steer, and three of the wheels rotate.  The bonnet may or may not open.  I am hoping it will and was carefull with the glue but however...
 :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Chrysler Turbine Car WIP 14-05-23 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

DogfighterZen

That looks so good, Fred!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Fingers crossed for you mate  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I'm in awe Fred! It's looking really termendous.  :thumbsup:

I keep opening the box of my Turbine Car, oggling at the complexities of the build, and putting the lid back on!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Took the masking tape off today and the bonnet still opens.  Yay!

All I have left to do is attach the radio aerial and drivers door mirror.  I might give it a carefull wipe over/gentle polish before I do that to avoid snapping them off if I do it after they are attached.

Kit.  Nothing to be afraid of.  Follow the steps in the instructions and you will be OK.
I had to build this out of box to meet the special theme rules at the Ballarat NNL next Sunday but if I wasn't doing that the only changes I would have made would have been to lower it and to add some additional structure inside the front wings as they are only attached by two small pins each.

I'd love to whiff one but the chances of finding a complete full detail version for a price I want to pay are remote.  I'd either build one as a NASCAR or with a street Hemi (saving the turbine engine for something unsuitable).
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2023, 04:58:37 AMI'd love to whiff one but the chances of finding a complete full detail version for a price I want to pay are remote.  I'd either build one as a NASCAR or with a street Hemi (saving the turbine engine for something unsuitable).

That kind of aligns with my thinking too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on May 16, 2023, 04:58:37 AMTook the masking tape off today and the bonnet still opens.  Yay!

(saving the turbine engine for something unsuitable).

A Win!  Well done. :thumbsup:

And a Trabant, maybe? Or a Smart Car!  ;D

zenrat

One of the japanese manufacturers does a 1/24 Prius into which i've long thought about dropping a big cube supercharged petrol V8...
Fred