Zenrat's Flying Circus

Started by zenrat, January 02, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on June 05, 2020, 07:47:55 AM
I went on an A level geography excursion to Ravenscraig works, Motherwell in January 1968 (just after hurricane force winds had inconvenienced to west coast of Scotland).  The coach from Carlisle had no heating, so we were rather glad to be taken to see the steel strip rolling process.  We warmed up remarkably quickly!!

Ah Ravenscraig. The wrong mill, in the wrong place at the wrong time  :rolleyes: A perfect example of what happens when politicians get involved in commercial decision making  :rolleyes: I went there a couple of times before it closed and swear they had their own language in the plant ? It was certainly different to that spoken at Dalzell only a few miles down the road  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Sorry to break the flow but i've never been to a steel mill.
I've visited Ruston Gas Turbines in Lincoln, a paper mill on the Isle of Sheppy (damp and smelly IIRC), Triumph Motorcycles (cleaner than I expected) and many different railway facilities.
I also spent a lot of time working at the poo farm.  You got used to the smell.  It got quite hot (low 40's C) in the summer and was particularly unpleasant on windy summers days while building drying pans as the wind would kick up dust from the recycled concrete slab and grit blast you with it.

Nothing like a steel mill or any of those other industrial places in my shed but here is a view of the aircraft drying facility on what used to be my grandmother's kitchen table.
it might need a bit of a tidy up.
Planes drying bottle 09-06-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

What's all those yellow things mate ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Ah ha.  Those are a cunning plan awaiting action.

When we stick passport photos to the forms at work we use special not very sticky glue which comes in handy geared roller contraptions like this...

...only yellow.
I figured the gears and rollers from inside them will be usefull steampunk scratch building fodder so i've been collecting the empties.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Right  :thumbsup:

Looks a complicated piece of kit, especially for glue ?

PR19_Kit

Not very sticky glue? Doesn't that mean it'd be easier for the nefarious among us to swap photos at some stage?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2020, 05:45:55 AM

No more complicated than the "white-out" tape dispensers, I'd say.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 09, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2020, 05:45:55 AM

No more complicated than the "white-out" tape dispensers, I'd say.

Tape dispensers I can somehow understand, but glue ? It's "squeeze and ooze" isn't it, or am I missing something ?

zenrat

The glue is similar to the stuff they use to stick new credit cards to the letters telling you you have a new credit card.
It is held on one side of a thin plastic tape which is stored on a roll (the yellow coloured bit in the photo).  As you apply the glue it comes off the tape onto the passport form with the now glueless tape being rolled back up onto the white roller to the left of the yellow tape roll.

Fred

NARSES2

A perfectly understandable explanation, thank you  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 10, 2020, 05:14:20 AM
A perfectly understandable explanation, thank you  :thumbsup:

No problemo.  I am here to serve.

Seafire has Sky on it and I have started adding the EDSG.  Wing demarcation seems a bit far out from the roots but I am basing my masking this pic...

...although looking at it I may have put the tape a bit close to the fuselage.
The ailerons on this aircraft appear to be a lighter shade.  Possibly either white or sky?
And looking at this pic (of a warbird) I see that its wing demarcation line is not parallel to the fuselage as I have masked mine.  I may adjust my tape tomorrow.
Note that once again the colours in this image appear to have been adjusted making the EDSG bluer and the Sky yellower.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 11, 2020, 04:48:27 AM

The ailerons on this aircraft appear to be a lighter shade.  Possibly either white or sky?

Were they fabric covered ? Sorry to lazy to dig my Putnams out.

Old Wombat

Don't think the ailerons are white, Fred. I can see a distinction in the shade of the white invasion stripe.

Going through the interwebs I've found a few builds of that aircraft, all with EDSG ailerons but no other Real Life images showing the tops of the wings. One other squadron, however, seems to have painted their ailerons & elevators yellow, for some reason.

zenrat

Thanks mate.  I'm not doing a build of that particular aircraft, just using it for reference when it comes to the masking (fuselage demarcation line through the centre of the camera ports makes it easy).

I've had that pic as the desktop on my laptop as motivation while building it.
Fred

Old Wombat

Didn't think you were, mate. It's just a bit interesting. :thumbsup: